rotisserie for a car body off the frame? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2007, 11:22 AM
C6, the C5 of tomorrow

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

rotisserie for a car body off the frame?

OK Next question

So I want to start the bodywork on my '29, it needs a lot of work along the bottom. This car has about 50 bolts holding the body to the frame all along the sides and back. Most of the metal for the mounting bolts is missing or bad and needs to be fixed.

So I need a way to work on the bottom of the car, I was thinking about making a rotisserie, but how do you attach it?

Maybe weld a temporary mount higher up on the body??

Here's a pic

Keith

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2007, 01:53 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I can't see making one. You will need to be able to keep test fitting the body to the frame, plus keep checking door fit on BOTH sides while just fixing one side sill at a time.

Why would you want a rotisserie? Just to avoid welding upside down?

Regardless how you do the work; I would put the body back on the frame to line up what's left of the body bolts, and then make measurements of widths, etc. I usually draw a sketch and measure to scribe marks that I scratch into the metal. Then I label those marks (like a,b,c, etc) as to how the sketch is drawn.

Looks like you need a big sheetmetal brake to make the sills?. or try to match up some rectangular tubing sizes? Looks like fun, I like that kind of work
Old 12-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Or you could do what Deuce does!

Old 12-12-2007, 05:44 PM
C6, the C5 of tomorrow

That DOES look a lot easier.
and yes, I hate welding upsidedown!
Old 12-12-2007, 07:02 PM

Last photo:

i bought a rotisserie from accesable technologies at charlotte for $850 bucks best money i ever spent. makes it fun to work on the car . i did a body off on a 59 chevy on a lift and trust me the rotiss. is more fun . wanna clean the bottom of the car / tip it 90 degress and pressure wash the bottom. need to work on the roof? tip it 90 the other way and now the roof is right in front of you. need to fix the 1/4 panel ? tip it 45 degrees trust me it's much easier. bolts to the bumper mounts or body mounts or sometimes you need a semi frame contact any of the major makers and they can help you out. I've dealt with accessabble and they are decent people to work with
Old 12-13-2007, 06:45 AM

Last photo:

rotisserie

If you go to yahoo and put in Car body rotisserie plans,There are some nice ones.We are building one from "A Well Balanced Rotisserie"I think if I was going to do it again,I would just buy one,use it,and resell
Old 12-13-2007, 07:29 AM

Heres one made from two engine stands.

http://www.1969supersport.com/roto.html

Rob

Jigs, sandblasting, shop, paintroom, rotisserie, pictures, little bit of everything.
http://www.1969supersport.com
Old 12-13-2007, 07:31 AM

Last photo:

sorry i forgot to mention the rotiss. i bought came with 2 jacks on it so it is easy to adjust the height and has 5" casters so i can roll the car around and flip it upside down alone with no help . the plan is to either sell it or rent it when i am done . with a fixed height(no jacks) and no casters it is even cheaper to buy
Old 12-13-2007, 07:39 AM

Last photo:

if you have the steel laying around it might be worth it to do it yourself but if your looking to do different cars or move it around a lot the engine stands seem like they would be a little shaky. the outriggers i would think are more needed when moving the vehicle as the weight is shifting ,floors are not always even etc. plus how many hours do you wanna spend building it. if you buy it for $900 sell it used for even $450 it only cost you $450 by the time you buy 2 jacks,2 engine stands maybe an extra 6 casters,nuts and bolts welding rod etc how much did you save by building it yourself?
Old 12-13-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59 wagon man
if you have the steel laying around it might be worth it to do it yourself but if your looking to do different cars or move it around a lot the engine stands seem like they would be a little shaky. the outriggers i would think are more needed when moving the vehicle as the weight is shifting ,floors are not always even etc. plus how many hours do you wanna spend building it. if you buy it for $900 sell it used for even $450 it only cost you $450 by the time you buy 2 jacks,2 engine stands maybe an extra 6 casters,nuts and bolts welding rod etc how much did you save by building it yourself?
Theres one on this thread with pictures of the minimum amount of steel to make one.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...ght=rotisserie

The question on what is safe and what isn't, I'm not sure.

But the ultimate test is when you sandblast the body and try to roll it over, I had to stand on mine and bounce up and down with my weight on it to get it to move initially, once I got some of the sand out, it turned over easy.

The one on my web site has been moved back and forth about 50' between my two garages several times over rough concrete, and nothing has moved.

I check the factory welds once in a while on the engine stands, and no cracks or fatigue issues that I can see.

I look at it as part of my hobby, I like building things out of metal.

I guess if a guy doesn't want to build one, or doesn't feel comfortable about it, then buying one and reselling it when your done is a good idea.

I frequent about 9 car forums, and I believe they all have shown how to make a rotisserie.

Anyway, I think the one I referenced was under $200 to build.

I'm not saying that is the way to go, only pointing out another way that somebody built one.

I guess I could add here that I weigh about 185 lbs, then you take some sand in the rockers, wheel wells, quarters and window openings, thats a lot of weight, plus the car body itself, it all adds up, but the engine stands are more then sufficent for mine.

A lot of these rotisseries have plans with them, by punching in rotisserie on the search function of these car forums, you can get some pretty good ideas.

Rob

Jigs, sandblasting, shop, paintroom, rotisserie, pictures, little bit of everything.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:19 AM
C6, the C5 of tomorrow

I guess the question still remains.
How do I attach the rotiss to the body.
The Dodge doesn't use traditional body mounts, they bolted the body to the frame in 20-30 places, most of which need repair.

So I need to hold the body by something other than the mounts, like the upper part of the body.

Has anyone done anything like this?
Or am I treading new ground here?

I could just lay it on it's side, maybe on a dolly and just call some friends over to move it when necessary I guess
Old 12-14-2007, 10:38 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

I wouldn't do it....not on what you are needing to do. These guys who are using one, have a solid body shell to begin with. If they put your body on one and cut out the sills, the body would get all out of shape, bend and twist.

I'd hang the body above the frame with whatever will work. You can combine the hanging with some sort of stands to hold a little weight, so the body is not swinging while you try to work.

Fit the doors after you cut out one main sill. Then figure out what & how to make sill pieces and just tack them in with a mig. It does not take any special talents to just tack it upside down. Just do enough tacks to get it strong. Keep checking door fit and lower the body to the frame to keep checking mounting errors.

When both sills are tacked and strong, then flip it like that 32 pic shows. Notice that that 32 not only has nice sills, but also has intact floors & cross sills. You can't flip a weak body and then cut even more out.

Also, there is a matress under that cardboard to spread the load on a curved body side. When you get it tacked & flipped, don't go nuts with long weld beads, as you may get it hot enough to allow the body to flex while laying like that.....and you won't know it until you try to fit the body back on.

Personally, I would not flip it until all the welding is done. You can weld upside down with 1/2" long beads with little problems if you practice. I never run long beads on anything.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:28 AM
C6, the C5 of tomorrow

OK F&J, I think I'm getting your point.
The body is pretty floppy, I have it supported by the roof right now as the bottom is way too weak.

It also makes sense to tack as much of it up while it's on the frame, no way would it fit back on otherwise, it's a tight fit.

The sills are going to be a challenge for sure. I have access to a 48" brake so I can do one door at a time, that should be OK I think.

So what I need now is a lift so I can lift and drop the body on the frame over and over.

Maybe I'll go with a support to the roof and a couple of jacks to lift the whole mess. ( or one jack and some jack stands)

That make more sense I think.

Now I just have to practice my upside down welding
Old 12-14-2007, 06:15 PM

Looking at the picture you have, it looks like the area behind the back window and the side of the cowl might be okay, hard to tell by the picture.

If it is strong enough, what about plug welding a six inch square piece of metal between 1/32 and 1/16 inch thick to those areas, then weld a bracket out of square tubing to that, then stick your rotisserie arms through that, it might not balance out perfect, but its something to think about.

You could also make your square tubing bracket a few inches long and stick some smaller square tubing or pipe through that, get a couple guys to help you flip the body over and rest the pipe or tubing on some blocks.

Then when you get the floor area fixed, go to a full rotisserie.

A lot of guessing here on my part.

Rob

Old 12-14-2007, 06:25 PM

Theres a couple of pictures on this that might get you to thinking of what might work, it takes a minute or two for the pictures to open.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2483466

Rob

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.