Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Rotor rotation?!?!? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/rotor-rotation-5899.html)

5.0Towncar 01-18-2003 04:16 AM

Rotor rotation?!?!?

Recently my engine has been missing at low RPM's and at high RPM's during passing.I think it might be water in my gas because I have only been putting 1 bottle of Heet in my tank instead of 2. BUT if it isn't water I think it's my timing. Which way does the rotor turn looking strait at the motor? Steve

P.S. I have already adjusted my timing when I redid my whole ignition.

dmorris1200 01-18-2003 04:23 AM

If you're askin about the distributor rotor it spins counter-clockwise.

5.0Towncar 01-18-2003 04:32 AM

No actually I was asking about the brake rotor j/k..Sorry forgot there was more than 1 rotor :rolleyes: Thanks though man :) Steve

But could my timing be a prob with what I am getting from my motor?????

[ January 18, 2003: Message edited by: 5.0Towncar ]</p>

dmorris1200 01-18-2003 04:50 AM

Well normally the first place I look when I have a 'miss' is the plugs and wires. I bad plug or wire could be the coulprit. You said they were new though. Does it do it under load, when revving in neutral, or both? If you put her in drive and give her a little gas while holding her still with the brake does she miss? If so you could maybe find out if it's one cylinder specifically that's missing. Is your distributor advancing properly, put a timing light on her and rev to 3,000rpm and see where the timing is at. Ford used to use what they called a 'spout connector' which if broken or missing leaves the engine stuck at 10BTDC with no advance from the computer. Could be many things, hard to think of others right now.

johnsongrass1 01-18-2003 09:27 AM

An easier way to find the dead cyl. would be to use the timming light and simply put it on each wire while reving it up to the point of miss. Watch the light closley for an interuption in the flashes. If no flashes problems are incountered than the problem does not lie in the ingnition system.

5.0Towncar 01-18-2003 04:21 PM

If I put it in neutral and rev it up to about 2,000 I hear a little spitting sound every 5 seconds or so, but I also have glasspacks dumped under my car and I asked a mechanic if that is normal and he said his car did the same thing when he had dumped turbo mufflers. I know the computer is working fine because I had to disconnect the battery when I did the timing and did this about 8 times to get the pinging to quit. I just couldn't keep the car running and adjust it because it would seem to adjust itself even when I turned the distributer really far advanced it seemed to adjust itself.Well I slept in today from like 8a.m-6 p.m(I woprk nights) and so I will have to work on it tomarrow. Steve

dmorris1200 01-18-2003 04:29 PM

Did you unplug the spout connector when you set base timing?

5.0Towncar 01-18-2003 04:34 PM

I last adjusted the timing right when I got the car and redid the ignition.......I was 18 then. I barely knew what 3+3 was.Where abouts is that plug? is it the plug in the side of the distributor that has about 15 wires?

[ January 18, 2003: Message edited by: 5.0Towncar ]</p>

dmorris1200 01-18-2003 04:41 PM

Unfortunately I don't know exactly for your car without looking it up but usually it's a small rectangular looking grey plug in the wiring harness to the distributor that when you pull it out the computer can't adjust the timing. You have to pull it out, then start the car and set base timing to 10BTDC (I think it's 10), then shut the car back off and plug the connector back in. Now the catch is they put the spout connector in different places in different cars but they almost always looked like a little grey plug. You may need a manual to check on this but if you see a section of wiring harness with a connector hanging and a grey plastic plug in it you found it.

dmorris1200 01-18-2003 04:42 PM

By the way, what year is your Towncar?

5.0Towncar 01-18-2003 04:45 PM

2-manytoyzs 01-18-2003 10:03 PM

That spout connector should be near the dist. in the six wire module harness. 2 yellow wires comes out of the harness (approx 6") and into the 2 pin spout connector that just hangs from the harness.

If you suspect a secondary miss (plugs wires coil), take a spray bottle with an adjustable nozzle, fill it w/ water, and w/ someone putting a load on the engine at about 1000 to 1300 rpm in gear, spray the plug wires, cap, and coil w/ a fine mist. For hard to reach places like plugs in the back, adjust the nozzle to a stream and spray the plugs and plug wire boots. If there is a wire shorting out externally, you will feel, hear, or see the miss. If you have arching at the coil tower replace the coil. Try to do this in a dark place, its easier to see arching. If you dont see or hear arching the secondary its probably ok.
Check inside of cap for carbon tracking.
Recheck plug gap. Set to spec.

[

[ January 19, 2003: Message edited by: 2-manytoyzs ]</p>

mustang66maniac 01-18-2003 11:44 PM

damn, does anybody else notice that when anybody has a question, if nobody knows the ansmwer, its always either dmorris1200, 4 jaw chuck, or KULTULZ that knows it. You guys are the heart of this board. You guys are the *hit

BruceZ28 01-18-2003 11:55 PM

M66M-I notice.These guys give great info and are funnier than ****.By the way,you and your friends have nice rides.BFP

5.0Towncar 01-19-2003 05:16 AM

WATER IN MY TANK. I guess I should go by the directions when it says"Treats 10 gallons". Thanks all.I think I'll go ahead and advance my timing a tiny bit maybe I will lose some roughness. Steve