Hot Rod Forum banner

Rough Idle

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  kpcrossfire6 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 Silverado 2500 HD with a 6 liter gas V8. We bought the truck new and it now has about 15,250 miles on it. I have noticed lately that it seems to have a slight rough idle. When sitting in it you can feel the rough idle. I don't drive this truck much and I don't recall it doing it before. We most always use Chevron gas in it.
Is there something wrong or is it my imagination ?
Thanks ,Gene

#2 · (Edited)
Check for an unhooked vacuum line! Had it happen randomly once on my 2001 Silverado, sprayed Brakleen around the engine and traced to one that popped off. How does it act as far as throttle response from idle and under a load? Also take a look into carcomplaints.com more than likely if yours has a common problem such as rough idle others will too, and you can look for possibilities to fixing it.

Good Luck,

#5 · (Edited)
I am a firm believer in fuel injection cleaner's I put a bottle every 5,000 miles, probably why I've never had one get dirty or go bad. Also listen to Stea many of these vehicles follow and react the exact same now days.

Some signs to a Bad Fuel Pressure Regulator
-The vehicle engine runs rough and often stumbles and sputters.
-The vehicle engine will not start after ignition. Usually, this problem is encountered in the morning when you start your vehicle. Many times, the engine starts, but stalls shortly after starting.
-The fuel pump in the vehicle becomes noisy at times.
-A result in fouled spark plugs.
-fuel mileage decreases noticeably.

#6 ·
kpcrossfire6 said:
I am a firm believer in fuel injection cleaner's I put a bottle every 5,000 miles, probably why I've never had one get dirty or go bad. Also listen to Stea many of these vehicles follow and react the exact same now days.

Some signs to a Bad Fuel Pressure Regulator
-The vehicle engine runs rough and often stumbles and sputters.
-The vehicle engine will not start after ignition. Usually, this problem is encountered in the morning when you start your vehicle. Many times, the engine starts, but stalls shortly after starting.
-The fuel pump in the vehicle becomes noisy at times.
-A result in fouled spark plugs.
-fuel mileage decreases noticeably.
I think I'll try some cleaner. Its never done any of the things above.
Gene

#9 · (Edited)
Lucas, Gum-out, STP, and Sea-Foam are what I use because they are very well concentrated, but they're all the same. It wont guarantee anything if it even does seeing how every vehicle can have a rough idle but anything can happen with time, even if it doesn't just putting a bottle in every 5,000 miles is a small price to pay to having a clean trouble free fuel system IMO.

good luck,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.