Hot Rod Forum banner

Rough running 3.3L Chrysler

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  torrey 
#1 ·
I know it's not a hot rod, but maybe somebody can help me out.

2001 Chrysler Voyager, 3.3L. 122K miles. Changed the spark plugs last Saturday, and on Sunday it started running rough, and backfiring under throttle. I changed the fuel filter (And broke one of the fittings on the fuel pump along the way, so new fuel pump.) It was still running rough, so after dark I went out and fired it up, and saw one of the plug wires was arcing against the manifold. So, new plug wires.

I even checked the egr, and cleaned it with some carb cleaner, and, and made sure it opened and closed like supposed to. It's running slightly better with new plug wires, but still backfires, and has an intermittent miss at idle.

I'm out of ideas, and my sis in law wants her van back! Pleas help me figure this out.

#3 ·
What kind of plugs did you install. If they are Bosch, throw them away and get the same ones that were originally in there. Also check to be sure you got all the wires on all the way, is is real easy to not have one "clicked on. As mentioned above take a look around and make sure you didnt break a vacuum line while changing the plugs.

#4 ·
I figured it out. It was a cracked plug. I must've had the socket not quite square with the plug when installing them. I saw it arcing against the manifold, even after new plug wires. Pulled it out, and the porcelain was cracked in a few places. New plug and it ran fine. I should've listened to the wife. She said, "You just changed plugs, and now it's running bad. Re-check the plugs."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.