Hot Rod Forum banner

roughing up clearcoat??

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  wayneooo 
#1 ·
After repairing a small corner dent on my decklid I've sanded through the BC/CC and the epoxy primer sealer I used is showing. The rest of the decklid BC/CC is solid but I have to reshoot the entire piece to avoid the CC repair 'edge'. Do I need to rough up the rest of the CC surface before I seal it? If so what is recommended? Scotchbrite? 800 grit wet or dry?

thanks for any advice

Ron

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Hey Ron ,I remember this car ,You put 1/4s on and had a fitting problem with the decklid ...first off you dont want to use a sealer...if your DA sanding use 320-400 and if wet sanding 400 to sand the area you want color on if your doing a blend,and 600-800 on the rest thats to be cleared but blending is a little tough for someone without experiance and if I remember correctly your car is black so you can base the whole deck and not worry about blending ,it'll still match....one of the few advantages of using black any other color would need blending....

#6 ·
Thanks to all!

I intend to reshoot both BCand CC over the entire decklid 'cause I'm not a good enough painter to blend it like the pros. I will use all your info and appreciate it.

DBMan, the quarters actually came out OK after some advice from the Forum and the car looks good but this decklid thing is pissing me off. Warm weather is almost here and my car is not ready.

regards

Ron

Attachments

#9 ·
Wet sand the entire piece with 800.
Do your spot repair. At least three coats of base.
Each coat of base go out 2-3 inches.
First coat 2-3 inches past where you see your sealer.
Next coat 2-3 past the fresh base and the last coat 2-3 past that.
Re-Clear the entire lid 3 coats.
Wet sand 1000 grit by hand with sponge pad. This get any dirt and orange peel if any in clear.
Then DA wet sand with 2000,3000, 4000 grit, this makes it almost shine
Now polish.

Lungs

#10 ·
one more question

I'm following all your valuable advice, thanks !

I've always used Glasurit clear and had good results with this car and previous jobs. I'd like to try SPI Universal clear also. This decklid might be a great place to try it. Is there such a thing as CC mismatch? Should I stick with the same CC all over and play it safe?

regards

Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.