Routing new fuel line to carb. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011, 09:45 PM

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Routing new fuel line to carb.

I am replacing the old hard fuel line between the fuel filter(there is one external to the fuel pump) and the carburetor on my stock 1968 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. The fuel enters the carb from the passenger side and the fuel pump and filter are down low on the driver's side. My problem is the old one measured about 32 inches and at the parts store my choice was between a 30 inch and a 40 inch. While I thought I might be able to cut the routing shorter I decided to play it safe and went with the 40 inch. What I was thinking was I could go over the top of the AC compressor, which is mounted in front of the carb. But I wasn't sure that if I did that the line would be, to some extent, above the carb. At least above part of the carb and maybe above all but maybe some of the choke and air intake areas. I suspect that would be a problem, so would it?

I could roughly duplicate the original routing, but then I would have to go out 4 inches more to the passenger side and the fuel line might end up over the exhaust manifold. For sure it would be over the valve covers. Either that or go straight up and then we are back to my first scenario just in a different place.

It can't go up the driver's side and then across the back of the AC compressor because the coil and distributor are in the way.

I can go get a picture or two, but I don't have them right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2011, 09:52 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

if your bending your own line from a straight length of tube when you get the shape you want cut the last few inches of and reflare it

i was going to do this with my car (66 impala) but i was able to order the pre bent line from classic ind. although in your case im not sure that will be an option.

if you do decide to cut and reflare make sure you pick the end that is the straightest so you have enough room to use the flaring tool and dont forget to slide the fitting back on before you reflare it.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:40 PM

Last photo:

I thought I had a flaring tool. I was even talking to my sister who thought I had one too. But I sure can't find it. And right now I am so broke I can't get a new one or even rent one. I may wait to put in the line till I can either find mine or somehow get one I can use.

I have recently gone through all my tools to organize them a little better the flaring tool was nowhere to be found. I may just have to search more and in some different places. It might not have been near the other tools.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:26 AM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

whats wrong with the old line? bad fitting or threads? if you need to use 2 pieces of rubber fuel line temporarily until you get things straightened out.that's what i had on my car for a while and it worked fine just wouldn't leave it permanently.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:47 AM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Try "Fine Lines" or "Inline Tube". They might have pre-bent lines in stock.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:57 AM

Last photo:

The threads are a bit messed up and the nut part is a bit rounded on the carb end of the line. I am making the 40 inch line work. I have it about half done, got the last 2-3 bends closer to the carb to do and it should work. The biggest pain is actually just getting it in the filter on the other end. I don't want to do my last bends till I get it in there. I keep almost getting it, but it doesn't want to get in there. Got to get it lined up better. I may have some time tonight to work on it.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.