Hot Rod Forum banner

Routing new fuel line to carb.

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  silentpoet 
#1 ·
I am replacing the old hard fuel line between the fuel filter(there is one external to the fuel pump) and the carburetor on my stock 1968 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. The fuel enters the carb from the passenger side and the fuel pump and filter are down low on the driver's side. My problem is the old one measured about 32 inches and at the parts store my choice was between a 30 inch and a 40 inch. While I thought I might be able to cut the routing shorter I decided to play it safe and went with the 40 inch. What I was thinking was I could go over the top of the AC compressor, which is mounted in front of the carb. But I wasn't sure that if I did that the line would be, to some extent, above the carb. At least above part of the carb and maybe above all but maybe some of the choke and air intake areas. I suspect that would be a problem, so would it?

I could roughly duplicate the original routing, but then I would have to go out 4 inches more to the passenger side and the fuel line might end up over the exhaust manifold. For sure it would be over the valve covers. Either that or go straight up and then we are back to my first scenario just in a different place.

It can't go up the driver's side and then across the back of the AC compressor because the coil and distributor are in the way.

I can go get a picture or two, but I don't have them right now.

See less See more
#2 ·
if your bending your own line from a straight length of tube when you get the shape you want cut the last few inches of and reflare it

i was going to do this with my car (66 impala) but i was able to order the pre bent line from classic ind. although in your case im not sure that will be an option.

if you do decide to cut and reflare make sure you pick the end that is the straightest so you have enough room to use the flaring tool and dont forget to slide the fitting back on before you reflare it.

#3 ·
I thought I had a flaring tool. I was even talking to my sister who thought I had one too. But I sure can't find it. And right now I am so broke I can't get a new one or even rent one. I may wait to put in the line till I can either find mine or somehow get one I can use.

I have recently gone through all my tools to organize them a little better the flaring tool was nowhere to be found. I may just have to search more and in some different places. It might not have been near the other tools.

#6 ·
The threads are a bit messed up and the nut part is a bit rounded on the carb end of the line. I am making the 40 inch line work. I have it about half done, got the last 2-3 bends closer to the carb to do and it should work. The biggest pain is actually just getting it in the filter on the other end. I don't want to do my last bends till I get it in there. I keep almost getting it, but it doesn't want to get in there. Got to get it lined up better. I may have some time tonight to work on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.