Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   The RPM Air Gap manifold (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/rpm-air-gap-manifold-6892.html)

PrimeMover 03-03-2003 10:07 AM

The RPM Air Gap manifold

I've heard and read a lot about the Air Gap manifold lately. I picked up a new one at the Roadster Show last weekend at a good price and decided to give one a try. Right now, I'm running a Performer RPM and am real curious as to exactly how much better the Air Gap actually will do. After getting the Air Gap home, I was a little bit dissatisfied with the finish job done on it. I will have to do a little port matching before I hang it, lots of cast flashing inside the ports. Did I get a blem? or are all Air Gaps that rough.. Before I take it back I'd like to here from the experts.

My 350 Mouse has early ported and CC'd 461 Fuelers and is a mild door shaker. If every thing else is right, from what I gather, the Air Gap will get me a few more HP up thru the power band, and run a lot better on the street, hot.

True story?

bullheimer 03-03-2003 10:24 AM

i really cant tell you how much if any improvement over an ordinary rpm, i wouldnt really think there would be alot. as for the flashing and port matching i was told by HRM that it was the closest to gasket size of any intake available. looks like you are saying that's not true. you mean they lied to us again??? those bastards!

PrimeMover 03-03-2003 10:39 AM

bullheimer - HRM and Edelbrock are tight business partners. It's my guess HRM will NEVER give any Edelbock product the least bit of bad press. That is precisly why I'm asking this question directly to the "troops in the trenches" here at the Hotrodder's forum.

(Red Flag - Vic's 57 has been HRM's featured car more than once in the past year)

You're assuming a lot here. I couldn't tell you if they all know their daddy's or not, my guess is they probably do. That's a different topic for a different thread.

Live to cruise~

V8 S-10 03-03-2003 10:41 AM

I have a Air Gap on my Camaro and it's really clean casted :confused: I got mine right after they first came out about 2 years ago so they might have changed something.Eldelbrock usally make pretty clean casted stuff..Maybe they just got sloppy I dont know.

PrimeMover 03-03-2003 10:43 AM

V8 S-10, That's all I needed to here... It's going back.

Thanks. :)

V8 S-10 03-03-2003 11:01 AM

Just courious..but does yours have the 2 tapped holes in the back of the intake for the 4 corner cooling?I don't think the newer ones are drilled and tapped from the factory.

PrimeMover 03-03-2003 11:06 AM

Yuppers! It sure is. It also has raised up cast blanks on the outside of each port, near the entrance to the heads. Maybe for an NO2 rack or injectors or something... I don't need that stuff on my manifold. I will look for a better application.

F-1Rodder 03-03-2003 11:29 AM

My reading suggests that the design results in flow characteristics just about equal with the RPM. However, because it has more of the runners exposed to cool air, you get a better volumetric increase from the cooler intake and therefore better overall performance. Chevy High performance likes it better than the RPM for a dual plane manifold.

LoudMalibu 03-03-2003 11:43 AM

prime would you want to trade or sell that rpm manifold to me, i have a egr performer newer version one

cuda66 03-03-2003 12:13 PM

if you think about it just buy a windage tray and put a one inch spacer under you carb. it is much cheaper and does about the same thing. The only thing that the airgap does is it cuts down on heat by keeping hot oil from under the carb and it helps itomize fuel a little better. another thing you could add is a heat sheild forthe carb too. Look at the cost. Option one 239.99 + shipping(250.00) option two windage tray 25.00 a one inch carb spacer 40.00 a carb heat shield 15.00 total 80.00 + shipping 90.00. just think half the price same performance= more money to spend elsewhere!!!!! that is great!!! :eek:

PrimeMover 03-03-2003 12:34 PM

Hey guys, especially V8 S-10, thanks! I knew something was fishy here.. They gave me the wrong Air Gap for my early 'Fuely' heads. They gave me a 7501 and I needed a 2601. Not only that, they gave me a blem that should have been routed back to Edelbrock. I looked at another 7501 and it was flawless. They couldn't produce a 2601 so the credited me back and I returned it. They sais a 2601 would cost me $229 I said, "forget it." Baxter's has the 2601's on sale for $195.

I'm gonna hold off a bit till I get over the fact that Schuck's Auto Parts wasted around 5 hours of the time I could have spent hanging the new intake system on my ride..

The old adage, "If it looks to good to be true - it probably is" is true.

Live and learn.. Charlie

PrimeMover 03-03-2003 12:42 PM

cuda66, I've already got a 1" phenolic spacer block in there. It'll stay with the new Air Gap.

Thanks.

V8 S-10 03-03-2003 12:56 PM

I didn't even know they made a performer Air gap until now :eek: I thought they were all performer RPMs.

PrimeMover 03-03-2003 01:10 PM

S10, I went back over my posts.. Where did I refer to anything as being a "performer Air gap?"

If I said that, what I meant was RPM Air Gap. Correction noted but not found.

[ March 03, 2003: Message edited by: PrimeMover ]</p>

willys36@aol.com 03-03-2003 01:15 PM

The air gap seems a little too gimmickey for me. Sure, I know all the theory of cooler runners etc., but I think we are talking small fractions of HP for some extra cost. Also, as I recall the ones I have seen have pretty rough mold marks under the runners.

They remind me of baseball gloves (wow, where did THAT connection cme from?!?). Think about it. If you are a baseball fan and look at the new gloves at the sports stores every year like me, there are always a bunch of PATENTED new finger straps, lacing patterns, web designs, etc., etc. Still comes down to whether you can get yourself in a position under the fly ball and put the mitt between your face and the ball to a) make the catch and b) protect your nose!

In hot rodding, I would spend my time and money building a good engine/car and if I had a little left over, get a gimmick like the air gap.

[ March 03, 2003: Message edited by: willys36@aol.com ]</p>