Rt 66 and my bucket list dream. becoming reality? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 05:12 PM
62 Vette L-98 TPI & ZF 6 speed

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rt 66 and my bucket list dream. becoming reality?

One of, or possibly the, last cars on my bucket list was loaded on a transport in Pennsylvania today, headed for my garage in Oregon. Ever since one of the very first episodes of Rt 66 was filmed in my hometown, I've dreamed of owning an early Vette. Generally the dream included a Black 61 with silver cove and red or white interior and a hardtop, but some days I do see a mid year instead. I had a whole bunch of fun in a 63 sw coupe back in the day with my buddy Paul Pfohl. Well after our "back to the 50s" events here last week, I realized that if I was ever going to do it, it would have to be very soon. the clock has been ticking, even though I never noticed it for the first 62 years . Wile at the show, I was able to check out several nice examples, and was able to make car noises behind the wheel of a beautiful survivor 62 fullie with hardtop, as well as a very nice 63 roadster. Even though my heart kinda wants a C-1.. I'm realistic enough to know that I really want to drive whatever car I got, and those C-1s have gotten much harder to ingress and egress from, since 1968 . So between that, and the fact that a 64 came along that fits my budget and skillset for making it a nice driver, that I went ahead and popped for the mid year. The car I bought slid off the previous owners single post lift as it was being hoisted, and slammed into his plasma cutter and a few other shop items, doing considerable damage to the bodywork. he became disheartened and decided to sell the car. bad for him, good for me, as I'd rather work on glass than metal any day, although I've done enough of both. I bought the car for what I believe is an amount that means I can enjoy the car for a wile and still make a profit when it's time for it to go (my labor is free). but that's the worry of buying a 48 year old car, from across the country, without seeing it in person first. It's going to be a long 10 days waiting for the car to arrive so I can check it over in person.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	88afd128.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	686.2 KB
ID:	67220   Click image for larger version

Name:	eee0c273-1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	699.6 KB
ID:	67221   Click image for larger version

Name:	472afa8b.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	867.8 KB
ID:	67222   Click image for larger version

Name:	c706219d.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	681.4 KB
ID:	67223  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 06:54 PM

Nice!! Congrates!!!
Old 08-07-2012, 05:59 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Beautiful! Take it for a nice long drive (s) before you tear into the bodywork. IMO, that generation of Corvette is by far the nicest car Chevy built.

I detour when ever I get a chance to drive on rte. 66. There's a neat stretch out of the San Bernardino area, lots of sights, old stuff to look at. It's funny how an old tv show keeps the interest alive, even when I haven't seen the show in 40 years. Dan
Old 08-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
One of the most amazing "keeping it alive" stories I have ever seen is in Winslow Arizona. "Standing on the corner in Winslow Arizona, such a fine sight to see". This was ONE LINE in a song, not the songs title, not in the chorus, just one friggin line. Go to Winslow (on Rte66) and you will see stuff all over, I bought a coffee mug with it on it.

Brian
Old 08-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar T View Post
One of, or possibly the, last cars on my bucket list was loaded on a transport in Pennsylvania today, headed for my garage in Oregon. Ever since one of the very first episodes of Rt 66 was filmed in my hometown, I've dreamed of owning an early Vette. Generally the dream included a Black 61 with silver cove and red or white interior and a hardtop, but some days I do see a mid year instead. I had a whole bunch of fun in a 63 sw coupe back in the day with my buddy Paul Pfohl. Well after our "back to the 50s" events here last week, I realized that if I was ever going to do it, it would have to be very soon. the clock has been ticking, even though I never noticed it for the first 62 years . Wile at the show, I was able to check out several nice examples, and was able to make car noises behind the wheel of a beautiful survivor 62 fullie with hardtop, as well as a very nice 63 roadster. Even though my heart kinda wants a C-1.. I'm realistic enough to know that I really want to drive whatever car I got, and those C-1s have gotten much harder to ingress and egress from, since 1968 . So between that, and the fact that a 64 came along that fits my budget and skillset for making it a nice driver, that I went ahead and popped for the mid year. The car I bought slid off the previous owners single post lift as it was being hoisted, and slammed into his plasma cutter and a few other shop items, doing considerable damage to the bodywork. he became disheartened and decided to sell the car. bad for him, good for me, as I'd rather work on glass than metal any day, although I've done enough of both. I bought the car for what I believe is an amount that means I can enjoy the car for a wile and still make a profit when it's time for it to go (my labor is free). but that's the worry of buying a 48 year old car, from across the country, without seeing it in person first. It's going to be a long 10 days waiting for the car to arrive so I can check it over in person.
Very cool car, LOVE them!

Brian
Old 08-07-2012, 12:45 PM

Last photo:

The real irony of the Rt 66 TV show was that they actually didn't spend very much time on Rt 66!
If I hadn't just spent my money on a car, I'd pop for the recently released video package of all the episodes. a hundred bucks or so for the complete set…… aw heck, I may do it anyway.
http://www.shoutfactorystore.com/pro...paign=route_66

Russ
Old 08-07-2012, 03:37 PM
The Dude

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
One of the most amazing "keeping it alive" stories I have ever seen is in Winslow Arizona. "Standing on the corner in Winslow Arizona, such a fine sight to see". This was ONE LINE in a song, not the songs title, not in the chorus, just one friggin line. Go to Winslow (on Rte66) and you will see stuff all over, I bought a coffee mug with it on it.

Brian
It's a girl my Lord, in a 32 Ford looking over smiling at me!
Old 08-07-2012, 03:50 PM
The Dude

Last photo:

That is a nice Corvette man! Just take good of her.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:54 PM
never 2 old to learn

Good looking vett. The waiting for it to get here is going to be the hardest. Enjoy. Where abouts is sw Oregon are you? I'am in Camby.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:53 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXrider13 View Post
It's a girl my Lord, in a 32 Ford looking over smiling at me!
I like your lyrics better than the original..lol. A flatbed Ford.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:25 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,299 Times in 1,057 Posts
I'm jealous but glad for you. I hope it is as good as you expect. Keep us posted and congratulations on the find.

John L
Old 08-09-2012, 04:44 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:

I don't have any love for Corvettes (after two years at a dealership repairing them) but at least yours looks like a fairly unmolested example (Torker intake aside).

I hope you keep it fairly stock as they don't look good to me with big fat tires and modern colors....

Now for that Rt 66 adventure you NEED to take before you assume room temperature... get that 'Vette presentable and do it!
Old 08-09-2012, 07:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo56 View Post
I don't have any love for Corvettes (after two years at a dealership repairing them) but at least yours looks like a fairly unmolested example (Torker intake aside).

I hope you keep it fairly stock as they don't look good to me with big fat tires and modern colors....

Now for that Rt 66 adventure you NEED to take before you assume room temperature... get that 'Vette presentable and do it!
I've had a TPI intake laying under a bench for a few years that may find a home on the Vette. tires and wheels will be replaced with gray center torque thrust Ds and redlines in the ~stock size and the riverside red color will stay the same. pretty much as it might have been in the late 60s (except style of FI). I hope to take the wife for a trip in the Vette by next summer sometime. not all of Rt 66 type trip, but several days anyway. she's very tolerant of my toys, and yes I do realize how lucky I am in that regard!!
Chevynut. I'm in Grants Pass.

7 days and counting,
Russ
Old 08-09-2012, 07:25 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

There's lots of episodes of RT.66 on youtube

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.