Hot Rod Forum banner

rtv instead of gasket?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ap72 
#1 ·
Okay so I'm in a dilemna. I can't find an off the shelf gasket that fits my needs. So my options are to modify an available gasket to work (just add bolt holes is the correct location) or I could install it with no gasket and just rtv.

Its a sbc, vortec heads non vortec intake that has been redrilled, edged are just too short to cover upper edge of coolant crossover on the gasket but it covers the actual port on the head. Thinking of maybe modifying a small race port gasket since the coolant crossover port is smaller. The vortec gasket I tried in the hard plastic one with the red o-ring from felpro. 90131. The one I may modify is 1206.

#3 ·
i would get a summit intake for vortec heads there practically free at $129

not only will it come with the correct gaskets but it will make more power as the intake ports will line up properly.

dont risk a coolant leak into the engine antifreeze crystallizes in oil and will destroy the bearings

#4 ·
I would stay away from the no gasket/rtv route

Modifying another gasket is pretty straight forward with an xacto knife. The 1206's are pretty thin around the top of the ports, not sure it gives you much wiggle room. While I prefer FelPro's I find that Mr Gasket gaskets lend themselves better to cutting than FelPro's. They tend to be a little softer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.