Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - rtv sealer on gasket pan?
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 09:07 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsmith10
dont use anything to help seal the trans pan. make sure both mating surfaces are clean and dry and install. and stay away from the cheap rubber gaskets that come in todays service kits, as the gaskets are junk. a good fiber gasket or cork would be recommended.
I've always used Fel Pro myself and never had issues using sealer on the gasket to pan. In the perfect world tnsmith10 you could get away with none
providing your pan bolts haven't been tightened by Magilla gorilla! To use none on the tranny pan to gasket will be ok if the pan is prepped properly by checking the bolt holes, tapping them flat again, having a good clean surface,
and using a torque wrench to keep from over tightening the bolt's.

I figure he's not going to use a torque wrench and if he has to ask how to do it, he doesn't have the experience to do it by feel. And, KMatch, that's why you give the sealer time to set up before you install the pan, so it doesn't squish out from the edges. A 1/8th bead will do the trick and 1/4 in. is too much. Sealer also helps position the gasket that most of the time is folded in the box it comes in which makes it a pain to line up the holes when bolting up the pan. I'm not saying this is the only or correct way but face it, a first timer is looking at a good possibility of leaks from installing the gasket dry.