Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rubber webbing stretch
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper
Thanks,

I called the shop I got the webbing from, they told me that's all they use for seat bottoms. I won't say its hard to stretch, but it is certainly not easy.

If it proves to be to soft, not that I can see that happening, I can always redo the webbing.

Another question is, spacing on the webbing? I was planning on weaving them and running with about a 1/4 inch spacing.

I also plan on covering the webbing with some vinyl prior to adding foam, figure it should help the foam live a little longer. I know some folks use burlap. Any other things to consider?

The spacing doesn't have to be that close together. I leave about 2" in between the rows. There's no point in putting the webbing really close together, it doesn't help and it wastes a lot of webbing. You can cover the webbing with anything that will keep the foam from being pushed down through the gaps. It doesn't have to be very thick. I use Versare, which is something like typar landscape fabric.

The problem with the urethane rubber webbing Lakeroadster used is that over time it gets hard and brittle and loses its elasticity.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.