Hot Rod Forum banner

Rubbing noise rear

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  sqzbox 
#1 ·
I noticed a grinding noise coming from the rear of my 56 truck. It's worse when I make a left turn. I'm running GM Cadillac Seville calipers and have disc on the rear. I'm running a 9" Ford rear end. If the noise occurs when I turn left, does that mean the problem is the right rear bearing or brakes? Also, is there a way of checking if the axle bearing is shot without pulling the axle?

#2 ·
Block your front tires front and rear. With the parking brake off, jack up the left rear with the tire off the ground and slip a crow bar or whatever under the tire and see if you have any up and down play. If you don't, pull the tire and check the caliper bolts and see if they are tight. Also, check for clearance between the disc and the backing plate. Spin the tire also and listen for noise. Hope this helps as it is the first thing I would do before pulling the axle. :D

#3 ·
It's been a long haul with replacing wheel bearings etc. I think I finally found the noise when I turned left. I pulled the rear passenger side caliper off and removed the pads to check their condition. The pads looked great as did everything else. I notice the little clip on the inner pad (the one that scraps the rotor when the pad get thin) didn't look straight. I could move it with my hand up or down. Apparently that clip is riveted on to the brake pad and came loose. I drilled it out and removed the clip, lubricated all the brake hardware and reinstalled. The grinding noise is gone and it looks like my rear axle bearings are fine. That little part sure made a heck of a noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.