Rumble Seat - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008, 09:29 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Rumble Seat

I would like to install a rumble seat in a 1936 Chevy Master Coupe. Are kits avaible? Could I use or modify Model A hinges?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 07:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Welcome to Hotrodders,com

I do not know about a 36 Chevy ... but here is two photos I found on the internet ... one rumble seat and one trunk ... I do NOT know if these were both factory done ...

On the earlier Fords ... like the 32 ... you can convert from a trunk to a rumble seat and use the same deck lid ... but the opening around the trunk lip is different ... and so is the bracing.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

I have done about 15 factory rumble seat installations in 34 and model A fiberglass replica bodies.( I worked at a glass body manufacturer for 13+ years)

I have also converted several 34's from trunk to rumble and it is a PITA.

I can tell you this much, If you can find the factory hinge, do so. The placement of the pivot point is critical to a rumble lid that works and looks good. Also, you will need to remove your lower rain drain from the below decklid panel, possibly replace it with a different support(if it has one), and you may be in for some floor panel changes as some cars have a dip in the floor to accomodate the swing of the decklid.

The swing of the decklid's various points and edges, final open position and clearance past obstruction while opening/closing are all heavily influenced by the pivot position, and the hinge needs to be surdy enough to hold the hinge when you have people sitting in it, so bracing is important also.

It looks like the lid in the pic that Deuce found is leaning too far forward, this may be because the stops are not positioned properly or the pivot is up too high on the decklid.

If there are no factory hinges available, I would look for 35/36 ford hinges, as the decklid shape and dimensions look to be close to your 36 chevy. The angle of the decklid is close to what a 35 ford has.

Model A hinges are small and the angle of the mount would not be even close to what you need.

32 Ford hinges are very close in shape to "A" hinges.

33/4 hinges are a possibility, as are 35/6.

What I would do is look for a factory or replica hinge, failing that I'd get a ford hinge, mock it up on your decklid with plywood uprights or whatever to see if it will operate, and go from there. maybe you can find a rumble hinge car, take some measurements, mock the whole mess up with wood and angle iron to see if it will work.

Alot of hassle, I know, but there is nothing as irritating as having a car with a poorly designed and executed hinge system that does not work.

Here is a page with Ford hinges, and Wescotts is a good company to order from if you choose to buy them.

http://www.wescottsauto.com/pdf-n-fo...runk-hinge.pdf

Here is a thread on the HAMB that I found with some good pics of an installation on a 36 ford. Those HAMB'ers are wild and crazy, but there is some really good tech stuff there as well

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=186997

For replica chevy hinges I'd try someplace like Chevs of the 40's, RB's Obsolete ..maybe those guys will have some leads.

Take a picture of your current opening, rain drain, rear "below the decklid" panel ,bracing and the decklid inner panel and post it here.. maybe we will have some more insightful and helpful thoughts..

Hope this helps, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 01-09-2008 at 09:36 AM.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.