rump tee rump cam question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2004, 08:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question rump tee rump cam question

I'm building a .030 over 350 4bolt in a very light body car . (street) - 3X2 (new machined) Rochesters (850cfm opened) with Edlebrock "Performer RPM alum 64cc heads . cp should be around 9.25:1 ..shift & lock-up kit in a 700r4 with TCI 2500 stall . 4.11 9" ford with 29" tall tires . --- NOW I'm into the CAM business . I want the AA/FD sound with streetability ... I'm thinkin' about a dur@.050=. 234/244 ,,,, lift .490/.510 cam ... You guys have been there ... Will this cam give me the rough idle and performance or can I go more ? What do you run and how does it sound ? thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2004, 08:45 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like a nice setup This is just my point of view but if you pick a cam for best sound and/or "lump" then you might as well take your money, set it on fire and then pi$$ on it to put it out. Choose a cam that best fits your setup and will give the best performance not the best lump. I'm sure some others on here will give you some great guidence.

just my .02 cents

Good Luck
Old 03-04-2004, 08:48 PM

Last photo:

.02 cents won't buy a beer .......
Old 03-04-2004, 08:52 PM

Last photo:

It can save you from making the age old mistake of over camming an engine because it sounds "cool" but maybe its cool when the motor has to be revved to 4grand to get the car move.

What is the car being used for? strip/street?
Old 03-04-2004, 09:11 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Your pretty close to running the same setup as the Edelbrock Performer RPM crate motor with the exception the carb an intake setup. I would use there performer rpm cam dur. 234/244 lift 488/510. That crate motor makes 425 horsepower. It won't sound like a rail but it will have an unquestionable, attention getting performance sound.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:29 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

i just fired up an edelbrock performer cam in a ford, and do have to say, that i am really tickled with the lope i get out of it. you can definately hear the cam.

.05 cents will get you a beer on nickel beer nite!
Old 03-04-2004, 10:29 PM

Last photo:

Bandit; the Edelbrock cam with this grind is rated for 1500-6500rpm's .. (so they say) my car will be street ,,,quick street I hope... Thanks 4 the info Jet , between you and crazy larry the edelbrock cam sounds like the best for my set-up .
what nite can i buy a beer for a nickel ?
Old 03-05-2004, 05:52 AM

Last photo:

Bandit hit the nail on the head, but if you want that nice lope, check the lobe seperation angle, 108 thumps, 112 doesn't, but one's for low end, the other, top end! The other #'s don't sound bad to me. I've got a 232@50, 488w/1.6, 108lsa that sounds great!
Old 03-05-2004, 07:07 AM

Last photo:

You might look into comp cams extreme energy line.

The old idea you have to give up torque and vacuum to get a nice performance idle, may be correct but not entirely. Call comp cam and let'em know what you got and what you want, ask about the XE line. You will get a performance sound, and you won't give up much if any in the way of low end torque or manifold vacuum vs. a stock camshaft (within reason of course). Whole lot better grind than the old performer rpms, not that they won't work.

A chevy example, there is a fella somewhere running a XE268 in a 355 s-10 blazer with overdrive. Getting 24 mpg highway and running 12's, doesn't sound like a sacrafice to me. Your results will vary but thats not too bad, IMO.

357ford
Old 03-05-2004, 07:10 AM

Last photo:

what name brand cam ru running wrencher ? low end ? what is the rpm range on this cam ? I'll be running 1.5 roller rockers , so could I go a little more lift than you ? thanks wrencher
Old 03-05-2004, 07:35 AM

Last photo:

It'a a melling, don't have the part # off hand, I believe it's 2500-6000, I'd have to check, it's also a marine engine, 355, 10.25-1, max so far is 6400, but that's what I wanted, top end, you'll have to determine where you want that power, it's all relative, I'd say your lift & dur are fine, just thought i'd mention the great lopey idle!!
Old 03-05-2004, 07:50 AM

Last photo:

I want a "low-end" cam .. (9.25 compression) ... I'd like the low-end "jump" performance .. (with the big lope) Top end RPM's blow ! thanks
Old 03-05-2004, 08:13 AM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Anglia the only possible problem you could run into is your heads are not designed for low end performance cams. There designed to match cams like the Performer RPM cam. I could be wrong but if your going with a low end cam and RPM heads you'll end up with a bad combination and a motor thats a dog. Another word of advise. I know two board members who used Comp Cams with the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads. One used a 268Xtreme Energy and the other used a 274 Xtreme Engergy. Both ended up with motors that could only pull there camaros in the high 14's and low 15's. Comp Cams makes great products but for what ever reason it was just a bad combination.

Mike
Old 03-05-2004, 08:26 AM

Last photo:

To get the sound and still have performance you need tight LSA and alot of lead to give it cylinder pressure. Most shelf stock cams are not designed like this..I will warn you it will need premium at all times.. I would call Dennis at Reed and have them grind up something on their Brute torque series.

Chris
Old 03-05-2004, 08:38 AM

Last photo:

I don't have a specific cam recommendation for you, but I know what you are looking for. To get what you want and still keep a decent bottom end, look for a cam that has a tight LSA 106-108, but keep the .050 duration in the 230 range. This will give you plenty of lope and should still build enough cylinder pressure with you low compression to make power. Tighter LAS give more peak power, but narrower powerband. Wider LSA gives slightly less peak power but a wider powerband.

I don't like to pick cams for people on forums, because no matter what cam is picked someone will have a different opinion. There is no ONE right cam for an application, it all depends on the use of the engine.

While I do agree you should pick a cam that best fits the use of the vehicle, it is your car and if you want a choppy idle that is fine with me. You can have a rough idle and make plenty of power. Just do it by picking a cam wisely, bigger is not better in most cases. With that said you don't have to have a "big" cam to have a rough idle. There are other factors that effect idle. If you pick a cam in the range I "outlined" above you should get the idle and performance you are looking for.

Hope that helps,

Royce

Edit: Chris I was writing at the same time you were. Very good advice as usual.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.