Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Running board covers
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2007, 05:50 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 special
I dont' know either but I have some rubber matt type material to use on the running boards for my 38 DeSoto and I plan on using conatact cement. Since I made them myself they are less than perfectly flat and I don't have any machines that will make them any smoother so that's the route I'm trying this spring unless I find something better in the mean time.
I tried the contact cement method (the good stuff, Weldwood, that both Mac's and Lebarron-Bonney recommend and sell) on the first set of covers, one of which I damaged and they peeled right off. I bought a second set of covers, which for some reason are a lot heavier material and suspect that they will peel off as well and probably even easier than my first attempt. OEM's were heat and pressure bonded @400deg/350psig (at least on Fords) thru holes in the boards themselves for an anchor - JIC. Do I have confidence that they will stay stuck with contact cement - nope !! Which is why I'm looking for an alternative method plus help others who are in this dilemma.

Dave