running dual engines - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 02:42 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Actually it works fairly well and the sync'ing of the 2 engines is not a big deal as all one needs to do is index the cranks together and make sure you are running the same timing on both of them..the throttle linkage is made with the small heim joints and the carbs or injectors are set up similar to a dual four or tri-power setup..the main issue back in the day was tires as we did not have the kind of tires we have today.

Weight is also a factor as the single engine guys has less of that to deal with and of course with the modern engine tech some fantastic HP is available..If I were to build for the tractor pulls dual or multiple engines are the way to go as that is a torque game to move those loads that they pull..

Sam

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 09:39 PM
bentwings

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

With the advent of the coupler rather than the chain drive connecting the engines was not a problem. Small blocks still had a weak crank snout however.
The Freight Train with 2 small block was very consistant and very popular. They may have had either welded or billit cranks with BBC sized snouts. The 392's however were starting to take over as the tire tech caught up and larger tires were available the last year that twins were run. The 2 speed non overdrive trans was also available.

The reason that the twins began to dominate the Top Gas was that we weighed about 1450 rolling. The twins simply added about 700 pouns for the motor and no significant additional chassis weight. So the power to weight ratio immediately went to the twins. Add bigger tires and a transmission and us single guys simply got left in the dust. Granted there were a very few singles that managed to stay one mistake behind but on a dead even start money went to the twin.

Now even the twins ran hard so they occasionaly burned pistons and their reliability was quite a bit lower so they sometimes got left holding the bag with only 1 motor. We never missed a chance to eat their lunch on those days. haha The twins had the motors set way back so when running on only one they were at a disadvantage due to the cg position and too large of tire. The clutch was adjustable but not easily for this much power change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2011, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

Here's what we use on our twin dragster ,
Old 02-19-2011, 09:22 AM

Last photo:

That is a coupler used on trailer mounted industrial waste pumps and allows indexing every 22.5 degrees The rail is a twin engine 4 cylinder rail and the timing is set so 45 degrees after cylinder one fires on the front engine cylinder 2 fires on number 2 engine and allows me to use one distributor to fire both engines., ,
Old 02-19-2011, 09:28 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalopy45
That is a coupler used on trailer mounted industrial waste pumps and allows indexing every 22.5 degrees The rail is a twin engine 4 cylinder rail and the timing is set so 45 degrees after cylinder one fires on the front engine cylinder 2 fires on number 2 engine and allows me to use one distributor to fire both engines.
VERY cool. The first picture looked really "industrial", almost like it was made by Caterpillar or something, but seeing it from a different prospective changes that perception.

What kind of times and speeds does it run? Does it 60' well?
Old 02-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Jalopy, do the number 1 cylinders fire at the same time? I am a bit confused. If they do, is the spark strong enough to fire both cylinders at the same time. That is one interesting set-up, do you ever get to Famoso with the car?
Old 02-19-2011, 11:51 AM

Last photo:

The front engine fires cylinder one, 45 degrees later the rear engine fires cylinder one and so on down the line, the firing orders on both engines are stock (1-3-4-2) so it works out 1 cylinder fires every 45 degrees (45X8=360), it smooths out the harmonics as well, use this sme method on V8 and you could fire the engines every 22.5 degrees.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:52 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

I see you have a ground wire between the block and the head on each motor. Interesting concept. I have that also on my SBC. This has been an off and on again thing for years. It sometimes cures mysterious electrical problems. Sure doesn't hurt.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Saw on the BS Blog and thought itīd be just right for this thread.
Building a Twin Engine Dragster From Scratch
Old 02-25-2011, 11:00 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

very interesting setup jalopy.
2 engines 1 dist.

this post get more interesting all the time..
Old 02-25-2011, 07:07 PM

twin power

Ok, That is serious cool, looks like 153 chevy 4 cylinders but does the SBC valve cover fit these engines? Thats what the covers look like. So the coupler you used is like the coupler between the motor and pump on like a septic tank pumper truck?. This what hot rodding is all about, never gets dull!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:31 AM

Last photo:

Those are SBC valve covers but attached using adaptors. those industrial connnectors are availale with a miriad of spline combinations.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:59 PM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddbogg
So with that I would like to know about setting up a engine in the front and back of something using caddy or olds like that....Fiero?VW?
Well the Fiero uses a front wheel drive transmission so you could build a car with 2 of them.
I have a SBC 350 bored 60 over and used an adapter plate to mount it to the stock 5 speed.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:12 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalopy45
That is a coupler used on trailer mounted industrial waste pumps and allows indexing every 22.5 degrees The rail is a twin engine 4 cylinder rail and the timing is set so 45 degrees after cylinder one fires on the front engine cylinder 2 fires on number 2 engine and allows me to use one distributor to fire both engines
One would think that coupling two engines like that would create a lot of vibration. How do you dampen that?
Old 02-26-2011, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
One would think that coupling two engines like that would create a lot of vibration. How do you dampen that?
I do use a FluidDamper on each engine but I'm not wholly convinced I needed them. The original engines did not use a vibration damper and with the 2 engines phased the way they are it runs smoother than a single 4 cylinder firing every 90 degrees., ,

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.