Running engine volt charge reading goes down - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2010, 04:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Running engine volt charge reading goes down

Hello guys I have something going on with my charging system on my 96 chevy s10. I have a 350 SBC in this thing carbureted and no electronics except my HEI distributor and basic factory stuff and no emissions hookups or anything else.

I have replaced everything on the truck since I got it with a new battery that is only 6 months old and the alternator is brand new as well. Also all battery wires are new as well from positive wire to all the ground wires. Ok here is what's going on. When first starting up my truck its charging at 14.6 volts and will stay that way for a while. Then after a certain amount of time it will go down to about 13.6 but no lower.

I have checked everything with my volt meter and I am not understanding why this is happening. This happened with the alternator that I got new from last fall and I had problems with it vibrating really bad at higher rpm's and breaking the bolt twice that goes into the cylinder head. I brought it too the auto store and they replaced it with a new one and it is still doing this.

That was not why I brought the alternator back but the previous one you could hear the bearings grind in it which was causing the vibrations at higher rpm. I have two volt gauges one being the original factory one on the dash and a mechanical gauge set I have. Factory one always reads less but I am having no problems with charging running power accessories etc for the time being. I am running a 65 amp alternator if that helps.

Now this happens with me running nothing power wise and if running my lights it goes down just a hair but lights are still nice and bright and checking my battery with vehicle not running its always about 12.6. So is this normal as engine has got good and warm? Belt is nice and tight and everything checks out good as far as my hookups goes. Have been told if everything is working good then don't worry about it but I guess I want to know is this normal.
Thanks Eric

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 05:35 PM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I'd be a little concerned about the 14.6 as well as the 13.6, should be 13.8 to 14.2. It's probably either a variance in your voltage regulator, or in the gauge(s). Have you checked it with a DMM, to be sure your gauge(s) are accurate?
Old 08-10-2010, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

Yes I did check this will a volt meter and what I am assuming you mean by DMM ( digital multi meter ? ) what I mean by volt meter is a voltage meter that checks all different type of electrical voltage from automobile, home use and many other things.

I am new to using one of these but hooked it up and it comes out as I stated above. The factory gauge is a little off but my mechanical gauge is dead on and read's the same as the the hand held digital multi meter. It starts off about 14.6/14.5 then goes down to about 13.6 after its been running a while.
Eric
Old 08-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Its supposed to drop down, after your battery gets charged back from the power it used to start the car....your alternator charges it back and your voltage regulator cuts it back when it needs to.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:30 PM

Last photo:

Ok thanks for the info. I did not know it would do that so I am in good shape then since it's all charging normally. I guess it might have did this all this time and I did not notice it.
Thanks guys
Eric

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.