Running fuel lines like this? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Posts: 40
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey darkness, could you describe or take a picture of where the stock fuel lines exit the frame? It's been a long time since I pulled them out, and I want to run the new lines through the stock exit.

Thanks,
Jerome

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2008, 02:50 PM
3rdmember
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Berthoud,CO
Age: 59
Posts: 348
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
I see you have a 88 s 10 , so i assume your keeping the stock F/P in the tank , and it was tbi so your only gonna be running 15-17 psi maxs so no real worries about high pressure FI fuel line.

wrongo!
the REGULATED spec is 9-13 psi
the tbi's will make 35-40 psi deadheaded.
still enough to pop a hose.
still, it's NOT MY TRUCK!!!
i don't have a dog in this fight.
do what you want BUT if you think you're saving a buck....
and believe me, GM did NOT use regular fuel hose when they built it and if they could have saved a penny by going that way, they would have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 12-31-2008, 01:14 AM
DarknessSpawned's Avatar
God Of Lightning
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Clear Water, FL
Posts: 97
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljjjrome
hey darkness, could you describe or take a picture of where the stock fuel lines exit the frame? It's been a long time since I pulled them out, and I want to run the new lines through the stock exit.

Thanks,
Jerome

If you are standing in front of the truck looking over in the hood, Its coming out right there on the right side of cross member, If your round vapor can is still in there its a couple feet away from them. Real easy to spot though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 12-31-2008, 02:37 AM
Member
 
Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Yorkton
Posts: 154
Wiki Edits: 51

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomslik
here's something else.
use high pressure F.I.hose.
why?
if something should go wrong (blockage, regulator goes nuts,etc) the pump WILL make 75 psi of fuel pressure and will burst the regular fuel hose.
use it on BOTH the feed and return lines...
I disagree with this. The feed line is a definate yes. The return line however I have seen stock multiport fuel inject setups (TPI which has higher pressure than TBI for example) that have normal rubber on the return line.

The only way a return line will ever see 75 psi of pressure is if the pressure regulator goes nuts and the return line gets plugged/pinched at the same time.

I however would run as much steel line as possible since rubber lines get pinched easier and many tracks etc limit how much length of rubber you can use.


DO however use high pressure line and fittings from the pump output to the regulator.

USE NO RUBBER/NON HIGH PRESSURE FITTINGS ON THIS LINE.
__________________
BiG WHiskey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 12-31-2008, 03:25 AM
3rdmember
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Berthoud,CO
Age: 59
Posts: 348
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyThunder
I disagree with this. The feed line is a definate yes. The return line however I have seen stock multiport fuel inject setups (TPI which has higher pressure than TBI for example) that have normal rubber on the return line.


really? name one.

The only way a return line will ever see 75 psi of pressure is if the pressure regulator goes nuts and the return line gets plugged/pinched at the same time.








I however would run as much steel line as possible since rubber lines get pinched easier and many tracks etc limit how much length of rubber you can use.


DO however use high pressure line and fittings from the pump output to the regulator.

USE NO RUBBER/NON HIGH PRESSURE FITTINGS ON THIS LINE.


not true.
if the return line gets plugged or pinched at the tank, you are going to see dead head pressure ALL THRU THE SYSTEM.
regulator will have NO effect on this.
think about it, that's ALL a regulator is is a restriction in the return line and yes, i HAVE seen it happen.

Last edited by tomslik; 12-31-2008 at 03:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 12-31-2008, 04:20 AM
v8 dan's Avatar
Dan 84 s10 with 5.7 TPI,700r4
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Las Vegas NV
Age: 58
Posts: 38
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fuel lines

Hey if a guy wanted to run steel lines all the way would compression fittings work to connect them together,or flare fittings? Just a thought I am having a hard time finding good hose clamps that I feel comfortable with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2009, 07:45 AM
3rdmember
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Berthoud,CO
Age: 59
Posts: 348
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 dan
Hey if a guy wanted to run steel lines all the way would compression fittings work to connect them together,or flare fittings? Just a thought I am having a hard time finding good hose clamps that I feel comfortable with.
i double flare 'em or use a gm type fuel filter and use THAT as a splice.
i've never thought much about using a compression fitting but i HAVE on PS pressure hoses before with no problem and that's a bunsh more pressure than the fuel pump makes.

you'll need some sort of flex between the fuel tank and hard lines and between the engine and hard lines so you 'll need some rubber line....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 01-05-2009, 04:52 PM
DarknessSpawned's Avatar
God Of Lightning
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Clear Water, FL
Posts: 97
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
I see you have a 88 s 10 , so i assume your keeping the stock F/P in the tank , and it was tbi so your only gonna be running 15-17 psi maxs so no real worries about high pressure FI fuel line.
Yes, It WAS a 2.8 motor.



Waiting on my 3/8 braided fuel hose to get here.
Got some goodyear fuel hose for the 5/16 lines in the back.

Both their burst ratings are a WHOLE lot higher than what my
in tank pump should be putting out from what a few people
have said including you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,172
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Recently I replaced rubber fuel lines on one of my rods, both standard pressure and high pressure line. The lines clearly said GATES on them, and were very cracked. As I began the removal, the high pressure line started spewing fuel from the residual pressure in the line. 28 psi system.
It has not been a lot of years since these lines were new because I installed them. The only lines that were even half way decent were the ones on the outlet of the fuel tank, which are the most isolated and sheltered.
This is a year around, nice weather, weekly driver, so no undue stress was placed on the rubber.

The new rubber lines appear to have a MUCH shorter service life than what we were used to only 10 years ago.

Funny, I have seen many lines on factory cars last 20-25 years.
3-4 year replacement intervals might be the new normal for aftermarket hose.

I suggest that everybody double check your rubber fuel lines. It might be later than you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2009, 02:56 PM
v8 dan's Avatar
Dan 84 s10 with 5.7 TPI,700r4
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Las Vegas NV
Age: 58
Posts: 38
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
running fuel lines like this

I read somewhere that marine hose was the best to use because it is exposed to a lot of the outside elements, makes sense, but I wonder what the different in them are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 01-06-2009, 10:53 PM
DarknessSpawned's Avatar
God Of Lightning
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Clear Water, FL
Posts: 97
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 dan
I read somewhere that marine hose was the best to use because it is exposed to a lot of the outside elements, makes sense, but I wonder what the different in them are?
Awww dayum I seen some of that on ebay for a great price....
Was close to buying it, but wentthe braided route in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sunfire, died and wont start back, fuel pump is running, no gas getting to filter jordan2011 Engine 6 04-21-2008 06:01 AM
Too many fuel lines? ffcagle34 Engine 5 06-12-2007 08:29 AM
Headers hitting fuel lines! Please Help 85CHEVY Engine 17 09-02-2005 10:22 PM
Carb size to small???? brainsboy Engine 50 08-14-2005 04:04 PM
Running brake, electrical and gas lines with a boxed frame? jimmy p General Rodding Tech 13 06-27-2003 08:44 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.