Hot Rod Forum banner

Running from the law?

2K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  M&M CUSTOM 
#1 ·
I'm just curious. Now if a certain someone was to run from say... a Sheriff on a public back road... How big of a crime is it? And what are the consequences if you don't get caught? Can they pull you over a few days later and harass you about it? :drunk:

#3 ·
I can only speak for laws in New Jersey. I am assuming that this "someone" was in a vehicle and ran from the police. If that is the case it constitutes a second degree crime of eluding in N.J. with a maximum jail term of 10 years (that is the MAX!). If this "someone" ran from the law on foot it would fall under either resisting arrest or obstructing the administration of the law. Both of these are fairly minor charges with minimal penalties. And for your last question, the officer can enter this "someone's" vehicle registration number in the national N.C.I.C. computer system as a "felony vehicle". That will notify any law enforcement official that checks the license plate that it is wanted for involvement in a felony. Keep in mind this is the WORST case scenario.

#4 ·
Running from the law-- running on foot is a class 'A' misdemeanor. Using a vehicle is a Felony. We don't have to catch you, just get the LP number. A warrant will be issued for your arrest for either means of running. And it doesn't matter what county or state you get caught in, you will be transported back to the original jurisdiction and charged.

Can the officer harrass you a few days later, NO ! he will arrest you on sight!

That Texas Law which is very much like California Law.

Countilaw

#5 ·
Not A Good Idea Dude!!

If they get your plate your butt is theirs!! Not to mention the danger you put every on the road with you in while your trying to out run the law?? If our caught speeding your better off stopping and paying the fine. I once bought the engine out of a guys 67 Nova....he had 16 speeding tickets and the cops impounded his car and disassembled it at their garage and sold the parts at auction to pay his fines!!! I got a 327 with 2.02 heads and solid cam n lifters for $50!!! They could have sold the whole car but took it apart to make a point with him.

Tazz

#6 ·
65GTO455 said:
I'm just curious. Now if a certain someone was to run from say... a Sheriff on a public back road... How big of a crime is it? And what are the consequences if you don't get caught? Can they pull you over a few days later and harass you about it? :drunk:
why in gods name would you run from a cop? lol... i make damn sure i have an easy way out and a short distance to sprint to to run... if its anything over 500 feet you should just pull over... unless you find a nice appt, complex to duck into and kill the lights or a service road in the woods somewhere. but i dont suggest all out high speed running from the law. thats just stupid. especially if your running in your own car because at some point they will catch you and your in serious trouble. and no, i dont still run from cops, im too old for spending 10 years in prison. lol

like what was said before, on foot is a misdemenor, all your really doing is giving the cops a good workout. In a car is a felony fleeing and eluding of a police officer, wreckless driving, wreckless endangerment, and if you kill somebody or hit somebody they can get you for neglegent vehicular homicide, vehicular manslaughter, or attempted murder. theres a whole list of charges they can hit ya with if you run in a car.

And if they have a dash cam in the car all they need is a clear shot of your plate number and you, or the owner of the car is done, the owner will get the charges whether they were driving or not.

So, its not too good of an idea to run anymore. "radios are faster then you can drive" ;)

#8 ·
Ghetto Jet said:
I thinking about buying an ex cop car and letting my friends chase me with it. It'll be good practice.

I'm under them impression that cops should have better things to do than try to hand out tickets.
LMAO.... going to get the red and blue lights and everything? oh, and have your friends dress up in police uniforms and everything. make it as real as possible. lol.

#10 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

In California, Before your even lit up..

You have been observed, and your plate is run as a trip..This info is either entered into the units MDT, or Relayed to Dispatch Via radio..Either Checks your Plate number against the DMV records, and The R.O's Driver license File..both of which will give the Officer your home address..

That Address is then Checked against the "Loc's" File..For crimes involving that address..And also pulls up your (or The R.O.'s) criminal history.

BEFORE the lights even go on (in most cases) The Officer knows your name, (provided the Vehicle is registered to you) , Where You Live (provided your address is current) , and What Crimes you have committed in the past , and those outstanding.

He knows your Physical Description, (provided you have ever been arrested, and/or the Driver's License Info is correct...), Height, Color hair, Eyes, D.O.B., Name (of the person supposed to be in control of the Vehicle).

He Then requests, a 27, 29..Wants and Warrants) Under that name, And a check of the plate For 10851 CVC (stolen) or other Criminal Acts, (armed Robbery, Rape, Murder and so on) so he has an Idea What he is dealing with..Felony or Misdemeanor stop..

Next the lights go on...

You in one foolish act , decide It's a KEWL thing to run..(I've Been Drinking , and I Can outrun that Crown Vic no sweat..)

Now the Radio heats up.."Failure to yield", " Brown 95 Chevy, 06 info, on California, Charles, Victor , Henry, 1234" Traffic only at this point" and every Officer in the District Is on alert, AND..Headed toward the pursuit..Some will Parallel it, some will head straight for it, Some will approach From Behind, You Can not turn, or go forth, or turn back without being observed and another unit on your tail..

NEXT if airborne , (and it usually is 24 /7) CHP 30 Is summoned (if requested by The Officer and Relayed To Dispatch, and if approved by the Shift Sargent,) to Follow and Call the pursuit by Air..

CHP 30, has a beat from San Jose To Lake Tahoe, up and Down the I 80 Corridor..and is usually up..except for Fuel and meals or Maintenance..If it is Down, near by Law enforcement with an Air Division is summoned, and they are Backed up by the Parks and Rec Helicopter..

Now You Can't Get away..Elude to your Hearts Content..You WILL be followed until one of the following happens..You Run out of Fuel..You Have an Accident..You find a set of Stop Sticks..your Engine Barfs all over the highway...

At the Very same time Units are Dispatched to the Closest Approaches to your Home, (or the Home of The R.O.) to just sit and wait..There will be no way for you to get to your home without passing a unit..

Now During this Act of Stupidity..Lets look at the Worst Case Scenario...You Fly around a wet corner, 3 Code Three units on your tail..you loose control of your car..hit a mini van with a family of 5 inside it..and Kill them all..

Now you are arrested..

Your Charges?

5 Counts Vehicular Manslaughter..A Felony..
Driving under the Influence with Gross Bodily Injury..A Felony..
Failure To Yield...A Felony..

The Case hits the news..be glad your in Custody..

The D.A. Decides..That this case deserves "Special Enhancement" , and now Charges you with 3 "Like" Vehicle Related Felony Charges..In California, That's "the Big Biotch"..Career Criminal..

You are now facing Life with a minimum of 15 years to a parole hearing..In addition to the time given to the original Charges, which at the courts desecration, May assign as Concurrent or Consecutive..you may never see the streets again.

If you think you can elude..and get away with it in California (The Pursuit Capitol) Your Welcome to try..Many have tried..Most Failed..and Don't whine When you get charged/Prosecuted with some steep Crimes..

As for a few Days later, Not going to happen..IF you get anywhere near home (or other hideout) The Detectives will be knocking on your front door..and finding out where you might be hiding..from Whoever answers the door..

If they do issue a warrant, those are good forever..no statute of limitations on them..you may get pulled over a year from the incident..If your License is run..It will be there..If you call to report a crime against YOU in the future..It will be there..and you will be arrested and charged with the crime..

So..what is your Freedom worth?

Doc :pimp:

#11 ·
I have this friend who ran from the law...............Yeah, a friend....No, it's not me.......................

Who you trying to kid. Fess up, and stop doing stupid stuff. If you get caught, you deserve what you get....If not, you got lucky. Hope you learned a lesson from it.

#12 ·
good lord, if i didnt know any better i'd say Doc is, or has been, in law enforcement. that is a very good description of the events wound up in a pursuit.

Another reason NOT to elude the law.

i wont sit here and lie, i've tried before and have succeeded. im not talking about a full out pursuit, but if a cop passes me and i see him pull a uturn i took off and hit the first dark appt complex. but that was in my younger days and its just not worth the risk to me anymore.

#13 ·
65GTO455 said:
..........Can they pull you over a few days later and harass you about it? :drunk:
They can pull you over and arrest you days/weeks later! Actually if they have video evidence that shows your license number or some other way of ID'ing you they can, if they feel like it, come to your house and arrest you. Fleeing and eluding the police in several states is considered a felony.

#14 ·
Nice post doc! :thumbup: That would be the usual case, but the thing is the officer didn't have time to check anything. He flipped on his lights before being able to see my plate. He didn't know who I was or how much I weighed or the fact that I know that road by heart. On an abandoned windy road at 8pm at night, I didn't pass one single car. He was driving so slow around turns, I would have sworn he was a minivan! Arial persuit? The chase was over around 3 turns. I couldn't even hear the cop car. Is it a felony if you can't see or hear the sirens?

The thing is, my road is 10 miles from any town and the sheriffs out here don't even know the roads that well. I just want to be left alone! Anyways, I know I messed up. I'm going to change up my bike up and drive regular now. It was a stupid thing to do. I just want to be legal and safe. :(

#15 ·
In order to out-run the police, you will need a flying car. I would get right on building one.

You can be streaking down the highway, on CNN's Nancy Grace, and you unfold your wings on your Civic SI. You daringly fly over the overpass at the last second, and, and........ Buford T. Justice calls you a #@!@#$#@%!!! You then fly your Civic inverted on national T.V. and shoot down the police helicopter!! yes, you are famous!!!!

You then wake up in a jail cell and realize it was all a dream. Bubba is feeling amorous, and you can't get away from him.

Repeat after me..... Smokey and the Bandit was just a movie. Smokey and the Bandit was just a movie.

I will not try to outrun the pOleece. I will not try to outrun the pOleece.

The gubmint will git me. I will be lost in a game of cards in prison and wear a dress.

Got the picture?

#16 ·
65GTO455 said:
The thing is, my road is 10 miles from any town and the sheriffs out here don't even know the roads that well. I just want to be left alone! Anyways, I know I messed up. I'm going to change up my bike up and drive regular now. It was a stupid thing to do. I just want to be legal and safe. :(

Doc here, :pimp:

What part of California do you live in? County? Just curious...

One of the Driving School Instructors From the CHP, used to say to his classes, (Court ordered Classes for traffic offenders)

"You want to break the Law? No sweat.." "All you have to be is PERFECT"..Attract no attention, And drive a Vehicle in PERFECT Condition.."

Ted Bundy, Mass Murderer, eluded capture after escape, was arrested Because The Tail lights were out on the VW he was driving...

Food for thought..

Doc :pimp:

#17 · (Edited)
Today no I wouldn't try it 30 years ago you bet did it a number of times as long as it was at night and I knew they didn't have my plate. flip the switch that shut off the lic. plate, brake, and the tail lights don't want to make it to easy. Open up 428 Ci of big block ford and take Smokey for a ride on the dirt roads and ditches back then they had no cameras, no helicopters, and none of them knew their way around the back roads and ditch banks like I did. Before I would take my Mustang back out itwas a different color. One day my brother was on the way home from HS at lunch time he was crusing along about 75 MPH in a 50 when he saw the state cop hit the bar ditch he decided if he wanted him he was going to have to catch him, he hammered the pedal to the floor on his built 351Mustang and took off. I was in the shop working on something when I heard him coming he stood it almost on its nose cut right came down the drive drove into the barn jumped out and ran and hid behind the hay bales. About time I heard the all to familiar sound of a big block Dodge winding up, I ran out side in time to see the state car go flying by slam on his brakes and go into the projects. My br0other ran into the house changed T shirt and his ball cap grabbed the keys to my pick up through me his and yelled "if you need to go some where today"! That cop harassed everybody that owned a mustang in the south valley for 2 weeks of course by that time brothers car was a different color.

#18 ·
I wish I could afford a perfect vehicle. :spank: I'm going to need some cosmetical changes this weekend. :cool: And I'm sorry but I can't release information about where I live, let alone the county. All I can really tell you is I live in the back hills of North Cal. :sweat: Remember I'm trying to keep a low profile. :drunk: I would be better off going into the station and doing a "Here I am" dance and getting tackled.

#19 ·
A few years back a misguided individual who had lost his license (points, multiple reckless op, multiple DUI) was in our local Dodge dealership to buy a new vehicle. In an aside he told a visiting customer that he was buying a new vehicle because the cops wouldn't know this one to stop it... he was talking to the recently retired chief of police.......guess how that turned out.

In big places cops have lots of backup and resources. In little places they learn all the cars and people.

#20 ·
65GTO455 said:
I wish I could afford a perfect vehicle. :spank: I'm going to need some cosmetical changes this weekend. :cool: And I'm sorry but I can't release information about where I live, let alone the county. All I can really tell you is I live in the back hills of North Cal. :sweat: Remember I'm trying to keep a low profile. :drunk: I would be better off going into the station and doing a "Here I am" dance and getting tackled.
You do realize that there are law enforcement that are also hot rodders?

They are on this board reading what you are writing as we speak...

They do have the resources to identify an individual from his IP address...

If you are stupid enough to run from the cops and actually get away, then you would do very well to keep it to yourself.

Sleep well, IP#xx.xxx.xxxx

#21 ·
Lonestar said:
You do realize that there are law enforcement that are also hot rodders?

They are on this board reading what you are writing as we speak...

They do have the resources to identify an individual from his IP address...

If you are stupid enough to run from the cops and actually get away, then you would do very well to keep it to yourself.

Sleep well, IP#xx.xxx.xxxx
DESTROY THE EVIDENCE!!! :smash:

:D I know of at least a couple of cops on the board. I wanted input on the consequences so I won't do it again. After it happened I really regreted it and all I really wanted was to be home and safe under a roof. I really don't know the consequences and I was just curious if I could put it all behind me and just go about my busy lifestyle like nothing really happened. I'm still young and stupid. :pain: Beat me with a stick.

#22 ·
If I were you I'd call down to the police station in about a couple of weeks and see if they have anything on you. If they do you may as well take your happy *** down there and see what you have to do. If you have a warrant, its not just going to evaporate like a fart in the breeze. You may as well take care of it on your terms... not get pulled over in a work-truck 5 years from now and get arrested in front of your boss and lose your job and income.

If you dont have a record and they do have anything on you you'll get some community service and a license suspension. Nobody is going to throw you in jail for being a stupid kid.

How do you know there was even a cop chasing you? Is this all coming from you going too fast on a road, had a cop pass you going the other direction and you sped up thinking he was going to turn around and didn't see him again? Chances are if a cop wants you, he's going to get you.

K

#23 ·
Words to live by..

If the cops want you they will find you....I have been tracked down and had cops waiting in my drive way...my Uncle was a local cop..he knew my car, heard the radio dispatch of a pursuit and was waiting for me to come home. An air plane is hard for you to loose and they can always arrest you later. The whole point is to NOT risk your life or anyone else's on dumb stunt like running from the cops!! Your luck may just run out and they will not leave you alone...they will find you and arrest you eventually.

Tazz

#24 ·
I just wan't to drive to work and drive home without being bothered.
Don't break the law and you won't be bothered.

I really have to say " some of this is the stupidest stuff that I have ever read"

When you least expect it, you will be driving down the road and pass the same cop that was going to / was chasing you. He will remember you and you will remember him. The thing is....he can radio ahead. Stupidity loses. You can only press your luck for so long.

#26 ·
Quite a few years back a buddy if mine tried the same thing, radios are hard to outrun, you were lucky. Now the bad part is, the sheriffs in this valley tend to be very vindictive, i.e., you just made a fool of them, they have ways of working you over that don't show signs of a working over. Then impound the vehicle, Ever see a bike laying on its side on a flatbed? Haul you off to jail, lose your paperwork for awhile, then you get to see the judge, he doesn't like his sheriff buddys made fools of either. You're lucky this time, I'd be changing my route to work, paint my helmet and looks of my bike and hope for the best. Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.