Running out of ideas! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2004, 10:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Unhappy Running out of ideas!

First off here is the info. I am fitting a 1985 TPI setup onto a 72 block that is in a 66 gmc pickup. I have pretty much replaced everything except the fuel injectors and the distrbutor. The only thing aftermarket is that I have 24 lb injectors. There is a new painless wiring harness attached to it all.

My problem is that is running really really rough. It pops lean unless I have the timing way retarded to like -6 or something like that. If I set the initial timing (with the esc timing thing unplugged) at 6 degrees the idle comes way up healthy but it quickly begins to pop. I have checked the timing to make sure its at TDC and the rotor is at the #1 cylinder etc. and it seems dead on. Fuel pressure is at 45 (it has been played with up and down to no affect). I used a heatgun to shoot the headers after its been running and i have headers at varying degrees (outside normal limits). While the headers for cylinders 1,2,3,4,5,6 are all within reason (between 400-500 degrees), the last two cylinders are always around 120-200 degrees. I have noticed that many of the injectors, while in place, can swivel almost in a 360. I guess this may sound stupid but would the injectors not being locked in with the clips cause them to not fire or fire with more fuel? I have been told so many things in regard to my problem(s) in which the person was sure that was the problem only their solution had no affect lol.

Any ideas? There is pretty much no throttle responce making me think its a fuel delivery problem. The more throttle you give the more it pops like its getting even more lean.

Thanks for the help.

Dylan.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2004, 12:04 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Have you checked to make sure the balancer hasn`t slipped and is giving you inaccurate timing readings? are you positive the firing order is correct? firing order is something so very easy to get wrong and be completely overlooked, I`ve did it myself on 2 occasions in my younger days. Are there any exhaust leaks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2004, 12:31 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 right? There is a leak however its down at the collector. Would something like that be able to cause this kind of problem. When we found the piston to be at TDC we then looked at the balancer and it was right on 0. One thing that seems a bit odd is that I can retard the timing a ways however I can only advance it about 8 degrees before I cant turn it that way anymore. Could I possibly be off a tooth?

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:29 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

the firing order you listed is correct, however, check the plug wires themselves, make sure there going to where there suppose to, as if 5 and 7 are side by side in the firing order as well as the cylinder layout and are easy to get crossed. In any oxygen sensor system there can be no leaks, pulses pull air into the system, the oxygen sensor picks up this added air and richens the mixture to compensate, a slight leak usually doesn`t have much effect though. when you mentioned that the last 2 cylinders are cooler than the rest, that`s what leads me to believe there cross wired, the spark doesn`t occur at the right time so little heat is generated, and this would make it pop back through the plenum. you have checked the valve train to be assured the cam hasn`t eaten some lobes? if you haven`t I would. It would also be a good idea to lay out your complete combo, as if what I tell you don`t help you any, i`m sure there are plenty others here who can, with your combo and the things you`ve done it`s easier to be of asistance. what do the plugs look like in the 2 cooler cylinders? how about the rest of the plugs? the balancer can be many degree`s off, the only true way to tell is to check it before the heads are put on to be assured it`s at top dead center, the piston could be down 10 degrees and the pointer pointing at zero, 10 degrees down is very little and you likely wouldn`t know the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.