Running the plug wires under the headers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2007, 04:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Running the plug wires under the headers

For my engine compartment, I'm running an extremely "clean" look, with a bare minimum of wires and hoses showing. Kind of an "engine floating in the compartment" look.

Is there anyone that sells a kit to run the sparkplug wires under the headers? I know it's not a look that everyone likes, but I'd like to give it a try.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2007, 04:57 PM

Last photo:

Also, any pics of people running their wires this way would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-29-2007, 05:02 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The mid-eighties 305 TPI ran the wires as you describe, but has long since discontinued the brackets to hold the wires.

It is good for keeping them away from hot headers.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:07 PM

I am running mine the same way. I purchased brackets from Paragon Corvette parts. They only have one side available but right and left are close enough to use on either side. They have a diagram on thier web site on how the look. Hope this helps!
Old 01-29-2007, 05:17 PM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmansson

I purchased brackets from Paragon Corvette parts. They only have one side available but right and left are close enough to use on either side. They have a diagram on thier web site on how the look.
Can you guide me to that illustration? It seems I am GM handicapped...
Old 01-29-2007, 05:24 PM

Last photo:

Yes, a link to the website page would be awesome.

Their webpage isn't the easiest to find things on!
Old 01-30-2007, 01:19 AM

Last photo:

Chevs with ramshorns ran the wires underneath with clips built into the heatshields. I've got some long 'under header' leads from IC&E ignitions here but no clips. Your heads should have small tapped hole between the cylinders and just above the block to mount some clips to. Even a/market dart and pro topline have these holes.Look at a 66 or earlier small block.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:44 AM

Last photo:

Are you running tubular headers or when you say "headers" are you referring to the cast iron sort? As stated above the old Chevy ram's horn manifold cars had the wires routed under the manifolds. There was a bracket on the rear of the block perpidicular to the bellhousing flange that held the 4 wires coming off the distributor and going to each bank. I also seem to recall that there were clips on the oil pan bolts (2 clips holding 2 wires each on each side of the engine) that also held the plug wires. I seem to recall running the front two plug wires under or around the engine mounts as well

Sorry for the huge picture size, but this shows the setup we have on the '67.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:51 AM

Last photo:

I'm running tubular headers, not cast iron like in your pics.

My headers also are NOT the block hugger type. There is a ton of room between the headers and the block to run the wires.

Unless I can find something really clean looking that is premade, I may try fabbing up some custom brackets from .090 aluminum.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:23 AM
aka Duke of URL

Here is my problem. 1986 IROC-Z 305 TPI. CHEV had the ign wires running akin to the above offerered illustration. Their purpose was to keep them away from the exhaust manifolds/AIR manifold(s) heat. I went to replace wires and the insulators were of course brittle. CHEV no longer makes the service parts...

Because of the AIR manifolds, everything I tried to suspend the wires above the engine were not feasible. I finally used loom clips as used on FORD 5.0L but this is not perfect (the studs are not long enough to hold proper torque on the rocker cover bolt holes.

If anyone has a method of neatly routing wires under the headers (SLP) please direct me to the source.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:41 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

This isn't under the headers but might be a way to consider. The looms are Made For You, the wires are Taylor 8mm 90 degree universals that you have to make up.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AEngine.JPG
Views:	501
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	18081   Click image for larger version

Name:	BEngine1.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	18082  
Old 01-31-2007, 07:23 AM

Last photo:

KULTULZ,
Did your IROC have heat shields under the manifold like in the picture shown above? We've never had a problem with the wires burning or aging prematurely due to heat with that setup. Then again it's not really a daily driver either.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:07 AM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child

This isn't under the headers but might be a way to consider. The looms are Made For You, the wires are Taylor 8mm 90 degree universals that you have to make up.

Dave
Dave, I tried several systems as you have shown. They will not work as the Thermactor tubes are too close to the head at that area. I imagine that is why CHEV routed the wires under the origional exhaust manifolds.

What I wound up doing was using the system as used on the late FORD 5.0L and it works but I would like a better system. Someone has to have a system to use considering the OEM parts are no longer available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Varnes

KULTULZ,

Did your IROC have heat shields under the manifold like in the picture shown above? We've never had a problem with the wires burning or aging prematurely due to heat with that setup. Then again it's not really a daily driver either.
Kevin,

What I did with this IROC was to go through the top end. It got stainless valves and stamped ISKY roller rockers. I then went through the TPI upgrading and keeping it emissions legal. It got SLP headers, low restriction cat and performance Walker exhaust. So far I have had no trouble with the plug wires but am concerned about the possibility of heat damage/spark breakdown. Also, the threaded stud part of the FORD stud (accepts wire loom separators) that holds the rocker cover down is not quite long enough to let me feel comfortable with the required hold down torque.

I just thought with all of the Stovebolt Freaks here that someone may have solved this problem as there are how many TPI 305/350's out there?

Let me see if I can find some past photos and I will post them to show what I have done. I have it down right now for a new set of injectors.

Thank You Guys!
Old 01-31-2007, 03:00 PM

Last photo:

Check out this guys setup . Its not under the headers but its a clean install with cheap parts.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:44 PM

Last photo:

Well, I couldn't find anything that would work, so I had to fab up a couple of small brackets.

Ran one wire in a sheath under the engine mount, and made a bracket for each side.

Here's a pic of both sides, and the engine overall. I'm trying to hide as many wires, lines, etc. as possible! I'm crazy for detail.

And the beast it's going back into. It's been lightened, fiberglass bumpers, some other things, probably in the 2300 lb range. It flies!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.