Hot Rod Forum banner

running rich or lean

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  UR50SLO 
#1 ·
What is the best way to tell if I am running rich or lean? ANd then I need to know how to adjust to fix either problem?? Thanks

#2 ·
inquiring_mind2 said:
What is the best way to tell if I am running rich or lean? ANd then I need to know how to adjust to fix either problem?? Thanks
How rich or lean? A little off can be hard to know without an EGR tester.

A lot off shows as different kinds of stumble. Lean will falter on opening the throttle and may backfire thru the intake. Under load the engine will detonate. Severe cases will show stark white sparkplug insulators to melted pistons.

Rich stumble is more like a burble, the engine just feels wet. The exhaust may be smoky. Bad cases will foul the plugs from soft black carbon to sopping soaked in gasoline depending on how rich.

Bogie

#3 ·
With the price of wide band O2 sensors these days it makes it affordable for almost anyone to know exactly what's going on in the exhaust stream.

I use the AEM 2 1/16 pillar pod style Wide Band O2.

There's only two wires to hook up (Ign. on and ground) Put a O2 bung in one or both sides. Install and you'll be able to read actual Air Fuel Ratio in real time so you know where your at... and where you need to go.

They cost about 250.00...... Some are less/more.

That's the real way to tune your car weather your carb or injected.
~Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.