Running Sluggish! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2004, 11:22 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Angry Running Sluggish!

Hey people! I'll cut to the chase. Or at least try.

I'm running a bit sluggish lately. I recently took a ride to New Jersey from the Metro NY area and I got there fine, came back fine, until I was a few blocks from my house. Car kinda chokes like one usually does when a catalytic converter is clogged... but not THAT bad. I'm thinking it was a missfire or two so I checked that out a few mins ago... #3 isn't hitting, all the rest are, changed the wire, sitll no go. But that might've been missing for a long time, I don't care... I don't think it has anything to do with this sluggish ride.

After the trip to Jersey and back the next morning, it was fine again. (I did somehow get a rock thrown thru my radiator which caused a big leak but after I filled it twice I haven't lost anything after a bit of stop-leak)

Later on it did it again, so I thought "Bad Gas" I put in 89, ran fine again. Ran fine for a few days then it's started doing this again, so I thought "maybe when I mixed the 87 with the 89 i stirred it up or whatever..." so I put in 93.. still sluggish as it has been since yesterday morning.

Broight it to my muffler guy to get a hanger put back on. and to bend the pipe some from the pass side floorboard to stop a rattle I get when someone sits in that seat.... he heard the new noise I'm getting from the car running sluggish and said "it sounds like something's broken inside the right side header".

So, here I am..... not sure what to do? what possibly could've broken inside the header if anything? Is it just a coincidence this all happened together (meaning does the hole in my radiator have anything to do with it?) and most of all .... I dunno... please HELP!

Thanks guys.
-Pete

1985 Monte Carlo
1975 Chevy 350 eng. (4bbl)
1975 TH350 trans.
FlowTech headers (please no jokes.. lol) (no CAT CONV either)
2.25" Dual w/ Flowmaster Orig. 40's (nice chevelle tips too!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	1291  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Have you checked your fuel filter?
Old 02-24-2004, 11:45 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for your reply Poncho.

No I haven't checked the fuel filter yet. I'm imagining I shouldn't really have to being I just put a new fuel filter in, in November when I put the whole engine in there..... I most certainly would check it if I definatley suspected it..... I don't get that kinda problem... I can nail the gas and it'll go with no backfire or hesitation (which would usu. make me suspect the fuel filter), but it's just not as smooth as it should be. Mostly sluggish taking off, but I think that's just cuz I don't notice it as much at high speeds.

Heh, this is becoming contagious around here. My grandfather's car (who's a mechanic.... but is on vacation).... has a faulty coil pack (its a late model buick lesabre) so they have absoultely NO acceleration... But that's a whole other story not to be confused with my problem! :-)
Old 02-24-2004, 12:11 PM
paints everything flat black

Last journal entry: September 2005 - Current
Last photo:

You said you replaced the #3 plug wire and it still wasn't firing. Can you verify that there's a spark? You could have a bad point contact in your distributor or something...

bw

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.