Running th-350 in 2nd gear? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 04:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Running th-350 in 2nd gear?

Well to get a little backround I put a 402 BB chevy in my 79 Malibu. The car has a th350 trans and 2.29 rear gear in a 7.5 rear (know it will explode the rear is just temperary along with the th350). What I would like to know is will the trans make too much heat if I leave it in 2nd gear out on the road. The motor doesn't like to turn that slow and the exhaust drones like crazy with it in drive at 60. And I know I'll get alot of that motor should pull just fine that slow but it TEMPORALLY has a tunnel ram on it as it was in a different project before.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2009, 02:52 PM

Last photo:

Almost 24 hrs and noone has any input?
Old 11-19-2009, 03:01 PM
More for Less Racer

It won't immediately hurt anything if the trans is in good shape, but it will wear out the trans faster. Short track circle trackers do this all the time in Bomber or Street Stock classes that rules require a stock rear axle that nobody makes a low enough gear set for, such as the 7.5" GM 10-bolt. As long as the car has a decent trans cooler and you can live with the rpm being turned you can do it.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:02 PM

Last photo:

Doing the math it only turns about 2700 at 60. So that's not bad. Like I said this is a temperary thing. Thanks
Old 11-19-2009, 05:44 PM

Last photo:

trans makes alot more heat when in any gear other than high, so get the best cooler you can fit on the car. and dont get one that is just a tube snaked through some fins, they dont work. get a flat plate Long-style cooler like comes on a late model GM truck.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

Yep, flat Plate type coolers are much more efficient than round Tube & Fin type.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:53 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

I've got a question that goes along the 2nd gear thing.
I have blown 350 sbc and T-550. I use a Lokar shifter (bought before I knew better). The trans has a shift kit that allows either manual or auto shift depending on where the shifter is. The car is really light at 2800 lbs with me in it.
The problem is that it is nearly impossible to manually shift from 1st to 2nd before I run out of rpm (6000 rev limit) I doubt if it is 3 sec and 60 mph. You can easily over shift the shifter. 2nd to 3rd is doable but you have to be cool and move the lever exactly at the right time and just a little movement.

It works best to set the shifter in 2nd and make the start letting the trans shift automatically at about 4200 rpm. Then gently start the shift to 3rd at 5000. Performance wise there isn't much if any difference +/- 500 rpm. The shifts are firm and very quick. The car can get loose at the 2-3 shift at times.

Now I'm told that it is hard on the trans to allow the auto 1-2 shift as opposed to the manual shift due to different oil pressure paths. Is this true??
Old 11-22-2009, 10:01 PM

The governor can be modified to shift at almost any rpm,if left in drive.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:59 AM

Last photo:

Never heard of a problem allowing the trans to Auto shift. As SDLuck mentioned, you can get a Governor Recalibration Kit to raise, lower and fine tune shift points>> http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...?Ns=Rank%7cAsc
Old 11-23-2009, 06:29 AM
More for Less Racer

I'd say get a better shifter, the Lokar is the pits for any kind of manual shifting, as you have found out. I can't believe they have sold so many of these things as they have as vague about what gear they are in that they are.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:52 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

I know, slap my hands I didn't know any better when I got this thing. It's like blonds, they look pretty but are functionally useless. haha

I did get a pattern for a modified shift detent from one of the guys here. I just haven't installed it yet. It has gates for the manual shifting and will prevent overshifting. It's not very heavy duty because of the Lokar design but if you are gentle with it, it will work. I also got a Lokar replacement gate plate to mount the new one on but I just haven't had time. We've had some unusually warm weather and I've really taken advantage of it.

Thanks for the governor information. I knew they were around but not where to get them.

Thanks

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.