Hot Rod Forum banner

running wires

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  bracketeer 
#1 ·
hi i have a 81 malibu looking to cut the wires out side for the dis alt and the 2 that go to the starter solenoid i am doing this because i put the solenoid inside the car and to clean things up abit i got the cranking wire down also the dis 1 down just need to know were to pic up the 2 on the inside of car that went starter solenoid inside i have 3 big red wires i want to run a short lead through firewall and out to alt on the other side of car

#2 ·
wiring

The alternator is connected directly to the battery by way of one of the red wires on the solenoid. The purple wire on the solenoid is the one that activates the solenoid/starter. The smallest of the three red should be the distributor. It is the same red wire on the base of the clolumn where they key rod comes down. You can peel back the Wire covering tube and follow the wires. There is one red going from the alt to the battery for charging another for the field winding. Three red wires go into the fuse box. One of them is actually coming out to the distributor. The other two are 1) switched power for radio/heater/etc. 2) The other is unswitched for headlighys/dome light/etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.