Runs in clear sanded out but still shows white outline - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012, 06:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Runs in clear sanded out but still shows white outline

I had major runs in my first two clear coats, sanded the runs flat as well as all the orange peel before shooting 3 more clear coats. Cut and Buffed and noticed a white outline of where the run once was. What can I do about it. I didnt thik it would be that obvious but when I took the car out to the sun its alot more noticeable. Does anyone know why there is still a white outline of the run? Looks a bit like miniature air bubbles.
What do you guys recommend?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elco_run_clear.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	66448  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 07:02 PM

Last photo:

outline

It looks like trapped solvent, I think you'll have to sand down to the clear layers that produced the runs, let it outgas in the sun then reshoot it.

Ron
Old 06-29-2012, 08:13 PM

Last photo:

If the solvent trap occured in the first clearcoat application can it be sanded out without cutting through to the basecoat?
Old 07-01-2012, 08:13 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

I am not certain whose ClearCoat you are using, but recently I painted and Clear coated my Firewall, and had the same thing occur. I was using SPI's Universal Clear, and called BarryK (what a great guy!), asking him what was the problem-

He told me that it was moisture trapped in the Clear, and that there were a few solutions-

1. Sand and re-shoot, hopefully not through the Base-

2. He has ahd some success utilizing an infrared Light, to bake it out, but he told me not to get it above 130-140 degrees-

3. Put it in the Sun for a few DAys and see if it will "bake" out

As my Car was on jackstands with no front-end, #3 would not work for me-I tried the baking option, and while I did see a difference, it did not take it all out.

I became inpatient, and since I had 4 Coats on it, I started with 600 and carefulluy started sanding (holding my breath)-luckily I used SS-

Anyway, it came out great-I would try the sanding option (if you have enough clear on it), as even when the moisture "cooked" out, it left little craters-

I was surprised that I got moisture (I'm in Utah, the second driest State in the US), as Barry usually sees it down South-the Dummy in me realized later that I probably got it through my Compressor even though I have a good air system (with drops), a water seperator, a Motor guard M60 Filter, and a Gun Filter-
Old 07-01-2012, 11:00 AM

Last photo:

ElCamino

Sorry I didn't reply sooner but I was out of town. When your kid marries and buys a house you become the cheap(free) handyman/remodeler/contractor.

Anyway, sanding is your only option. Hopefully you have a panel edge or body line where you can mask off the area. I never could spot repair CC without leaving a noticeable edge line. The pros can but not me. If not I would sand and reshoot the entire panel. I wouldn't worry too much about hitting the basecoat, you'll know when you get to it. Put it out in the sun for a few hours, if possible, before reshooting

Ron
Old 07-02-2012, 02:32 AM

Last photo:

Thank you for the advise. Im using SPI Universal clear and HOK Shimrin metallic. I definitely cannot cut through the clear as I will be very obvious if I disturbe the metallics.
I ended up re-shooting the top darker side of the fender but my only concern is that the color on the fender will differ from the color on my door and rear panel.

So what exactly causes this solvent trap every time Ive shot the and get runs? I was always under the impression that if the clear runs I can just cut if flat and everything would smooth out.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:09 AM

Last photo:

Solvent trap or solvent pop occurs when another coat of clear is applied before the previous coat has completely outgassed. When there is a run the CC is extra thick and the normal wait time doesn't apply. When I get a run I generally stop painting and go in the house and watch TV for a while. If you're using SPI Universal Clear Barry gives the best advise.

Ron
Old 07-02-2012, 01:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto_ron View Post
Solvent trap or solvent pop occurs when another coat of clear is applied before the previous coat has completely outgassed. When there is a run the CC is extra thick and the normal wait time doesn't apply. When I get a run I generally stop painting and go in the house and watch TV for a while. If you're using SPI Universal Clear Barry gives the best advise.

Ron
Your Lucky you have that option Ron. If I go in the house to watch TV my wife and kids will not let me get back out!
Ive tried explaining to my wife flash times, etc. Ive tried everything even comparing it to make-up. ie; first the primer (consealer), then the base (powder) the the clear coat, etc..

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.