Runs and Orange Peel on Epoxy Primer? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 05:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Runs and Orange Peel on Epoxy Primer?

I shot my tour pack today with Shopline Epoxy Primer. Not thinking correctly, I did not aloow myself enough romm aroundthe tour pack to freely move around it to shoot it. So I have some runs. Plus, the first coat was not heavy enough and I developed some Orange peel. Can I sand out my mistakes? If so, do I have to reshoot it with EP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2009, 05:25 PM
CQNRQY

Last photo:

I don't see any way but to sand out the runs and orange peel. make a smooooth surface and re shoot it with a nice even coat of primer
It's the prep work that counts
Old 03-31-2009, 01:00 AM

Last photo:

I'm wet sanding it with 320 and it's coming out good. Once I finish with the 320, I'll go over it again with 600 and then 1000.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:12 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coodeville
Once I finish with the 320, I'll go over it again with 600 and then 1000.
I'm just a novice painter so won't hazard an opinion. But perhaps some of the pro painters will chime in to discuss the pros and cons of taking the epoxy down to 600 or 1000 and the potential for adhesion problems.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:29 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
I'm just a novice painter so won't hazard an opinion. But perhaps some of the pro painters will chime in to discuss the pros and cons of taking the epoxy down to 600 or 1000 and the potential for adhesion problems.
Initially, It came out with runs and orange peel on it so I had to sand it down. I was using a 1.0mm nozzle. I now have the recommended 1.6mm nozzle to use. After I finish that, I'll scuff it and put another coat onto it just like the sheet says.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:39 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
...I was using a 1.0mm nozzle. I now have the recommended 1.6mm nozzle to use.
Again just another novice question on my part. Won't the 1.6 tip be even more prone to runs and sags than the 1.0 tip?
Old 03-31-2009, 12:13 PM

Last photo:

I am not a pro painter by any definition, and I am going to guess I am probably the least experienced person who held a spray gun, who is going to respond to this post.
Orange peel tells me the paint is too dry, and did not flow out.
Runs tell me the paint is too wet, and flowed off.
I believe the major problem is with your consistancy. With me, by far my greatest problem is consistancy with gun techniques. Is the gun perpendicular to the surface? Is the the gun the same distance to the surface, throughout the entire stroke? Is the overlap the same on each stroke? Is the gun speed the same on each stroke?
Is the paint the same visiosity each time? Is the temperature the same? Do you allow the same time for each coat to flash off, in different areas?
Notice I have not even mentioned tip sizes, air pressure, and many other variables.
Take careful notes of everything you can the next time you paint. Try to see what changes you do causes what effect. Try to be really consistant, and you should get much better results.
Trust me, I have done more than one paint application that has orange peel and runs on the same piece. It is part of the learning process. Take pride you are learning to do this yourself, and not just buying a paint job. Want to have some fun, try painting spoked wheels sometime.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:38 PM

Last photo:

Part of my problem wasthat I could not move around the piece freely and the gun stopped moving. One time I almost fell to the ground I've remedied that situation. The 1.6 will allow more paint to go though the gun making it wetter.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:39 PM

Last journal entry: Several Car Projects
Last photo:

If you have enought primer just sand

Quote:
Part of my problem wasthat I could not move around the piece freely and the gun stopped moving. One time I almost fell to the ground I've remedied that situation. The 1.6 will allow more paint to go though the gun making it wetter.

If you layed enough primer down that you can take out the runs and make it nice and smooth, then you don't have to respray primer. If you think that you can see metal through a thin spot of primer then I would go through the trouble of re-primering.

If you are using a reduced PPG primer as a sealer and your can see a little metal, no big deal. Continue with the sealer and paint.

There are two types of papers out there that are used on primers. Stearated (dry lubricant-looks and feels like baby powder) and non-stearated sandpaper. Typically non-stearated paper is used to sand with water. Stearated paper does not need water.

I work with a lot of OEM car plants that they repair primer using a 500grit dry or a 600 grit wet.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:22 PM

Last photo:

I've been sanding it and it's getting real smooth. The primer is getting real thin but I'm not worried. Once I get it to were I want it, I'll shoot it again. I'm taking my time becasue I want it to come out right.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:50 AM

runs and orange peel on epoxy primer

hey, coodeville. The bigger fluid tip of the gun, the more orange peel! Spraying a heavier coat will tend to flow out better, but drying times and film thickness are increased, as are the chances of runs. Epoxy is slow to sand, and will need to be re-sealed to hide the scratches. Use the smaller-tipped gun with maybe a little more pressure, and spray the sealer a little lighter.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:26 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Coodevile, if you're getting orange peel turn down the fluid a little bit. With the 1.6 tip and a clear pathway you might be able to maintain a more consistent pace around it and avoid the runs and orange peel. Sounds like you might have remedied the causes of the initial problems. With the 1.6 tip, you won't be making multiple passes to achieve coverage so the material should lay out and flow better. Use a test panel and Brian Martin or Barry K's tips on spray technique. Brian is MartinSr and the tips are on Autobody101 and BarryK is on Southern Polyurethanes website. Both men have excellent tips on gun setup.

Last edited by cyclopsblown34; 04-09-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:42 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

From the SPI website:

"A simple formula to remember is orange peel is fluid adjustment and run control is an air pressure adjustment. "

And I agree, the Fluid Tip is probably too big-I think it should be in the 1.3-1.4 range, I believe-
Old 04-09-2009, 10:09 AM

Last photo:

Initially when I sprayed the epoy primer, I used the 1.0 mm that came with the gun. ( I'm using the Eastwood HVLP unit). The sheet says to use at least a 1.3 and no more than a 1.8mm. Next time around I'm goingto use the 1.4mm that is avaialble for this gun. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.