Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Runs rough/intake popping when secondaries kick in.
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 08:03 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC View Post
My guess is that there's NO fuel in the rear bowl.
What type of bowl? (Dual inlet or fuel transfer tube?)
Are there no sight plugs on that bowl?
Needle / seat stuck?

What is the Holly List Number stamped on the front of the choke housing?
It would be much easier if we could identify the carb and/or have some pics of it.

You mentioned doing a carb overhaul ... I'm assuming this carb to be a 4160 series with a metering PLATE, not a metering BLOCK with removable jets, right?
If so, I seem to recall that most kits include metering plate gaskets for both 4160 (square bore) and 4165 (spreadbore) carbs. Any chance that you may have installed the wrong gasket and blocked the hole in the metering plate? (Just a thought ...)

Holley #108-13-2 Fits 4160 Chrysler

Holley # 108-27-2 Fits most 4160 models

Excellent feedback. Thank you! You're correct, it has a metering plate and not a metering block with a transfer tube and only one fuel supply inlet, so the only removable jets are on the primary circuit. I didn't get a chance to look at those numbers this morning. I realize that would be valuable to this thread....my bad.

Fuel does deliver when the secondary butterflies open....it's obviously visible. Good thought on the gasket. However, this problem existed before the rebuild and is still present, so I'm suspect it's something other than my installing the wrong gasket out of the kit.

I'll post those numbers and some pics tonight when I get home. This one has me scratching my head.....maybe I need to verify the fuel pump's performance?