rust - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2006, 07:15 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

rust

Well, the same ole question-
when you have a panel with a rusted out area, I know how to cut out the rust and such, but then how do you put in a metal patch? You cannot just weld it on top of the area, so is there a lip that can be formed to put a piece of metal in or what? Any advise would be very helpful
Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2006, 07:27 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Mike,

You will get a lot of answers on this one. Generally, the guys who are in the Auto Body business can say that they will flange the area (what you describe), and weld (or Bond) a patch on top of it. The restoration crowd will generally say that they will butt weld a patch in (cut out the area, insert a piece of, say 18 gauge, scribe, cut it out and weld it in)-they will say a Flange weld will heat and contract at a different rate, so the repair may be compromised. I think there is a place for both types of repairs. I prefer to butt weld myself (it can take more time to do), but feel it is a better way in that moisture cannot get behind the Flange and possibly rust through, although there are ways to stop that also.

What are you trying to repair? Is it a flat (or low crown) panel? Which type of weld process are you going to use? By the way, where in Colorado are you?
Old 04-28-2006, 09:19 AM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

I am working on my 55 Chevy truck and it has a ton of rust on it. I have used the lap and weld method, which is acceptable in the repair industry. I also used the butt weld method. Both methods worked out well. If you look at my journal you can see both methods I used. On the lap method I did cover the lap with fiberglass to waterproof it just in case. Keep in mind I am new at this and learning also.

By the way welcome to hotrodders. This is a great site that is very helpful.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.