rust around the vinyl top - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2005, 10:51 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

rust around the vinyl top

I was going around my car, and I looked under a piece of the molding around the vinyl, and noticed rust bubbles under it. the bubbles are on the body itself, where there is paint, however I am reluctant to remove the chrome trim piece, because I am worried it will mess up the vinyl. I also have no idea how it is held on, and how easily I could put it back on, help would be greatly appreciated

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2005, 11:06 AM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

The only way to stop the rust is remove it. Around the trim on vinyl is a common area for it.

The easiest way to figure out the damage is to remove the trim and inspect it. It's possible the rust has stopped at this transition but could continue under the vinyl.

In a nutshell, your rust whether it is surface or through the metal needs to be removed. Since you said its in the paint you will be removing paint, prepping and repainting for sure. How much further its hard to say.

Rust is a living growing thing. Only one way to stop it. Remove.

Rich
Old 07-24-2005, 12:26 PM

thanks alot for the advice, I fully understand the inns and outs of rust.... I live in buffalo=winter=loads of salt, need I say more? lol
my issue is more of a concern for the vinyl. will removing the trim piece cause the vinyl to loosen? and does it just pull off? how hard is it to put back on? I'm a beginner, and have never dealt with vinyl before, and I don't want to ruin the vinyl, it's in perfect shape.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:03 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

I dont think mentioned what your car was. Hard to say based on that and my trim experience is limited to a dozen or so different cars so probably cant say.

If the removal is not obvious take it to a body shop and have them remove it. More than likely it is hooked to clips that are fastened to the body. I cant see where its going to effect your vinyl as the trim "usually" covers the vinyl.

Rich
Old 07-24-2005, 03:08 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

You didn't say what year your car is but I'll bet the rust is coming fron under the vinyl. This is very common place as the vinyl gets porous after a few years and it lets moisture and salt in. This will rot the roof off your car if let go long enough. I have removed many vinyl roofs to find rust living under them. Do like was suggested. Take the car to a good body shop and have it looked at. I know what they will find so be prepared to have the top stripped off and a lot of rust fixed. And DON"T put a vinyl top back on unless you want to go through this again in a few years...
Old 07-24-2005, 09:07 PM

Last photo:

Been there and done that!

I am finishing up a frame-off restore on my 69. It's a midwest car so rust was everywhere. Under the vinyl top was really bad, but especially near the front of the car. Pits were so deep it's amazing they didn't go through.

Since you don't go buy a new roof from your local parts department, and getting the curvature on metal you bend yourself is next to impossible, I opted to remove the rust until I got to bare metal. Sanding and wire brushing mostly.

I then put on two coats of POR-15 all over thw whole roof and sail panels. Then POR putty, then sand and another coat of POR-15. Finally I put two coats of POR Tie Coat primer.

I will spray a primer sealer or maybe an epoxy primer before having a new vinyl top put on. It may not be what the pros would do, but it's what seemed logical to me and it's what I did.

I plan on also putting some sort of sealer on the inside as well.

Steve
Old 07-25-2005, 12:59 AM

Last photo:

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread; but I have a 1977 Cutlass with a vinyl top and it was a nightmare when I removed it. It was completely rusted out along the entire rear glass and I had to do alot of fabricating and patching.
I plan on putting a vinyl top back since I like the look and I don't want to spend the time to get the roof and sail panels perfectly straight.'s my daily driver in the summer.
Are there any tips for preventing rust underneath a new vinyl top? Does having a padded top make a difference?
This car won't see snow or salt, but it will probably get rained on as it's my daily driver in the summer.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:44 PM

it's a 64 t-bird, sorry I forgot to mention. I don't want to remove the vinyl right now. I am doing this car cheep and dirty, I know I shouldn't, but I read an article in carcraft titled, "don;t get it perfect, just get it done." which made me realize how much time I am going to lose at cruise nights and stuff, because I wanted everything perfect, I'm 18, and if it'll pass as ~decent~ thats what I'm going with. I.E. cutting out the rust on my quarters and fiberglassing, I know it won;t last, but hey, by the time it's giving me trouble, I'll have money for new quarters. So I just don;t want to get into this top too much, I wanna just get it done, even if it's half shotty, I'll fix it when it becomes necessary

~Eric

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.