Rust coming through-new paint job & trim holes filled-pics - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 09:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rust coming through-new paint job & trim holes filled-pics

I am having some problems and could use some advice- I had a 1985 Cutlass repainted for my husband while he was in Iraq.
Here is a before pic

last summer- a year and a half after the paint job- i started seeing bubles in the drivers side door- called the shop that painted it and he kept putting me off- so finally it went there today and he thinks its rust and will not cover it- he is not a good guy, said guy took my car "hot rodding" w/o my permission, forgot to tighten the lug nuts and the wheel fell off and he skidded on the brakes/rotor into the ditch and wrecked the fender and wrinkled the drivers door- so needless to say- i do not trust him

We have taken the car to 2 diff shops today and they both say its rust due to bad prep- it was taken down to the metal and filled in- last guy says- hmmm looks like its right along the line where the trim was. and he looks at the other door and its starting to do it too! SO- he thinks when he welded it he forgot to seal it or something and moisture is getting in there and causing it to rust- this car was in PERFECT condition when i took it there- it has a lifetime warranty on the paint- but he says its rust and not fixing it.
so, i have estimates for $2000 for ONE side- since its house of Kolors paint-pearl its a bear to fade. Any advice how i can find out if this is truely whats happening? I am thinking I will have to take him to small claims court- I dont have $4000 to repay someone to do the job right that i already paid $5000 for the paint job- then he wrecked it and you can still see where the door is wrinkled since he did paintless removal...and my husband leaves in 4 weeks to go BACK to iraq so i will be dealing with this on my own- thanks for anyone that can point me in the right direction!
here is the after....and the paint is all bubling right where the trim was

Advertisement

Last edited by 85Cutlass; 03-12-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2009, 09:48 PM

Last journal entry: More photos
Last photo:

rust comming through

If it is in the area where the side mldgs were, it is my bet that the mldgs were the type that riveted on, then an insert to cover the rivets. It rusts in the rivet areas and if not blasted and welded, it WILL comeback. I would bet that if the work is taken out, you will find that the holes were not blasted or welded just "caved and paved". I have had to correct this issue before. It is not that bad to do. I think 4k is outrageous! But to get a good repair will not be cheap either due to custom paint. I would recommend whom ever does it take good digital photos of the process. You will need them if courts get involved. Also have them bill the time to repair any damages remaining from wrecking the vehicle separately as that guys owes that regardless.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:00 PM

Last photo:

here are a couple more pics
they Said they took the car down to the metal and the white is filler- IF there were rust on the car, wouldnt they have seen it? since the car sit in a garage and maybe we have put 500 miles on it, its very babied

and here is a pic of the inside of the door w door panel off- do you think if we take the panel off we will be able to tell if the rust is coming from there ? it looks to me like the brace from the trim is still there- will we be able to see anything?

thanks so much for everyones help- the Valspar Rep came and looked and it and he was completely baffled- he is covering the cost of the activator and the clear coat-
Old 03-12-2009, 11:29 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Actually by looking at some of the pictures in the shop, there was filler put over the paint. The white is filler but I am not seeing much, if any bare metal. This is getting more common in the low end shops but it will not last. As far as the rust, if he removed the trim, there will be holes in the body. If these holes are not plug WELDED closed, the paint will blister. Was there any rust on it before he started? Low end shops will usually just beat the rust down until they get into good metal and then fill it with fiberglass instead of cutting the rust out and welding new metal in. I use to work in a body shop in the early 80's and there was another shop just up the road from ours that used to pop rivet repair panels in rusted out areas instead of welding. After a couple months you could see where every rivet head was under the paint (little blisters) everywhere. Even though the pics do not show a quality prep job in my opinion, unfortunately it's been 1-1/2 years ago since he did the work. I doubt that you will get him to warranty the work. If you are going to get it redone, I would ask around for references next time. Sorry for your misfortune. Let us know how it comes out.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:53 AM

Last photo:

Knowing these cars...is the rust below the body line? The inly holes in the door for trim are at either side of the door, with pin-type things to hold on the plastic clips. If it used to have the trim in the middle of the door, that is just adhesive holding it on.

Sorry to hear about your car, Cuttys rock.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

From the first pic you posted, the side trim looks after market. Added at the dealership, especially the piece behind the rear wheels, that is not a standard location for factory applied side moldings. Likely riveted all the way down the side every 10"-12".
In the pic of the inside of the door, what you are seeing is the back side of the side impact reinforcement bar.
Hopefully you have a full set of pix of the car just before it went into the shop, detailed, up close showing there was no rust to begin with and that his work created the bubbling spots now on the car.
After a year and a half, getting a judgement on the remainder of the joy ride damage will be very difficult, it will depend on the statute of limitations in your state and if it was acceptable before, why not now?

Good Luck,
Old 03-13-2009, 11:28 AM

In the pic of the driver side door ,you can see two areas toward the front , that were either tapped in or were dents to begin with
Old 03-13-2009, 11:38 AM

Last photo:

thanks for all the replies- the was NO Rust anywhere on the whole car- both the guys whom worked on the car kept saying they could not believe how straight the car was and how there was no rust on it anywhere
no dents until the owner took it joy riding i should say

I do have a ton of pictures - i am a photo kind of gal. so at least that will help...the bubbles are just on the doors and actually on the passengers side of the door it almost looks like you can see where they sanded- this was not visible in the first year- everyone is Assuming its rust...but no ones knows for sure....and it all starts where the moldings were- on both doors...

my dad called and had a "Talk" with the shop owner today and I guess he is going to fix it and fix it right- for a smalll fee..and if he finds it due to bad prep he is going to cover it all. And my dad also said he will be coming to take the car there- and to check on the work as he is doing it...he knows we mean business and my dad is a body/paint guy- but has a bad back now- thas why he didnt do it...so HOPEFULLY we will find out what is making it do this, dad is also going to take off the panel of the door before and see if its coming from those weld spots
Old 03-13-2009, 08:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
From the first pic you posted, the side trim looks after market. Added at the dealership, especially the piece behind the rear wheels, that is not a standard location for factory applied side moldings. Likely riveted all the way down the side every 10"-12".
Good Luck,
That trim is factory. Almost every 81-88 G-body had them, save GN's, and certain model lines (I beleive the base model Cuttys didn't have them.)

It is an adhesive.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:45 PM
58/58

Last photo:

Rust coming through

If i understand this right, he took it for a joy ride, forked it up, and painted it very poorly, Hell i'de take him to conciliation court, I have been there 4 time and have not lost yet. I think you would win....but i don't know the laws in your state. check it out.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by awert
If i understand this right, he took it for a joy ride, forked it up, and painted it very poorly, Hell i'de take him to conciliation court, I have been there 4 time and have not lost yet. I think you would win....but i don't know the laws in your state. check it out.
yep, you have it right, he originally tried to blame the wreck on me, saying i had the wrong lug nuts on..well, I had just drag raced it the week before..pretty sure if i had the wrong size lug nuts I would have wrecked it...he later admitted he just finger tightened it and got distracted..still NO reason he should have EVER been ROdding it....
is that the same as small claims court?
If the judge asks why i accepted the work, i will tell him it was ok at the time- my husband was just coming back from iraq- i had other things on my mind and a year later is when the work got really bad- from bad prep work....

I am almost 100% certain its from the molding...
Old 03-14-2009, 07:11 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM
That trim is factory. Almost every 81-88 G-body had them, save GN's, and certain model lines (I beleive the base model Cuttys didn't have them.)

It is an adhesive.
You are likely right. I zoomed on the pic for a closer look but it distorts slightly, thought they were the dealer add on type.
If that is the case, that they are adhesive, why is there rust starting there now?
Sounds like a mess, hope all works out for them.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.