Hot Rod Forum banner

rust hole repair kits??

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Too Many Projects 
#1 ·
Anyone have good experience using rust repair kits? LTD has a few rust spots, one that goes all the way through bottom of passenger door. Looking on ebay and amazon, trying to decide on one.

#2 ·
If its a car not worth much and u just want to drive. Rough the surface and use fiberglass. Smooth it out and then skim coat bondo on it.. Those kits were derived from info they used to put in the back of chiltons manuals. Its drywall tape and bondo basically... Any of this is temporary. But it will look good for a year or 6 months or so, or a week.. Depends on how well its done, but the real fix is welded metal

#4 ·
There is actually more than that. Chopped strand mat can be ripped for a feathered edge. Fiberglass cloths need cut and are woven. Several kinds of that. And then there's csm backed cloth like a 1708.. Back when I did this kind of thing, I used 3oz csm.. The boat restoration world opened my eyes to all kinds of fiberglass types. And it isn't cheap.

#5 ·
Having a pic of what you are dealing with would help to decide if glass is going to work for you. If the rust is at the very edge and involves the inner frame structure, it will be difficult to hold the glass to the proper shape to restore that edge.

With no idea where you are in the country/world, it's not possible to advise getting a better door either. I do try to obtain original parts for repairs, when possible/feasible. Even a dented/damaged door that has the area you need is better than a patch kit. Of course, that would depend on you having the necessary equipment to cut, weld and grind too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.