Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rust inbetween Double Seem Questions Advice on ATTACK Plan
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2008, 10:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rust inbetween Double Seem Questions Advice on ATTACK Plan

Hi all,

I have discovered some rust in my car but I am having a tough time deciding how to fix it . In the picture below I am going to cut out the inner passenger floor board hole and put new sheet metal (shown in green) in. Now the problem is I cannot get behind the curved wheel well where I believe the seem sealer has failed (water is indicated by the green and blue puddles). I am still unsure where the leak is coming from but its 1 of those 2 spots.

There is rust on the inside triple sheet metal welded walls as you can see from the photo. So I was thinking to use some sort of rust converter (such as picklex 20 or eastwoods rust converter other suggestions?) and pouring it into the hole once I find it. After that wheel off as mush rust as possible and then apply some sort of encapsulator such as rust bullet. Then apply seam sealer on top of the rust bullet. On the interior I would wheel off as must rust as possible and apply rust bullet on top of that. My thinking is once the rust bullet and the seam sealer are down no more water will penetrate and hence the rust will not be able to grow anymore.

What are peoples thoughts on this attack plan?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5117.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	27212  

Last edited by fcastro; 01-20-2008 at 10:59 PM. Reason: picture