Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   rust inhibitor experience (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/rust-inhibitor-experience-191562.html)

Bauer1287 01-28-2011 05:08 PM

rust inhibitor experience

I would appreciate suggestions for products to paint on rust to stop the production of it and prep for primer. Please help!!

silentpoet 01-28-2011 09:57 PM

Naval jelly works well but you have to be careful and rinse it off thoroughly. The rust wiki has good info. Naval jelly works well for simple surface rust. Some of the more complex shapes or areas you might be better off to use spray.

techron 01-29-2011 03:31 AM

based on decades of reastoring old cars--THERE IS NO PAINT THAT WILL WORK OVER RUST EVER,sorry.
eleminate the rust completely and prime, paint to the clean bare metal.
how is this done, you may ask??
sandblasting on big parts like frames, suspens :thumbup: iions sure you do it outside sure you do iion and driveline part will get you down to bare metal.
on smaller parts al ox or bead blasting may be the way to go (i use it often).
electrolisys (sp) also works great but is slow, it is my favorite method.

the best thing i have found to de-rust small parts is muriatic acid, it kills all the rust but does not harm the base metal, i did the hood hinges and a shifter plate on my 54 vette/64 vette today.
if you decide to use this, do it outside and neutralise the acid by useing baking soda disolved in water to neutrralize the acid. wipe the part with alcahol, then prime and paint...

deadbodyman 01-30-2011 09:38 AM

ospho...thats what I use my rusty restos

AtlantiGreenPro 02-02-2011 02:31 PM

Anytime I'm blasting cars I use Holdtight 102

You can do a Google search for it on the web.

We do surface restoration in New Jersey with a Farrow System 185 and I add the concentrated holdtight 102 at 150 to 1 into my water tanks.

This way right after I'm done blasting I rinse down the surfaces with water and the exposed unpainted metal is good for up to 5 days with out any flash oxidation.

Of course you want to primer metal as soon as it's dries, but it's good knowing you have a window of time to do things right.

Jon 02-02-2011 02:38 PM

These wiki articles may be helpful to you:

Rust
Epoxy primer
Media blasting
Rust encapsulators
Phosphoric acid as metal pretreatment
Rust removal with Ospho

deadbodyman 02-02-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlantiGreenPro

You can do a Google search for it on the web.

We do surface restoration in New Jersey with a Farrow System 185 and I add the concentrated holdtight 102 at 150 to 1 into my water tanks.

This way right after I'm done blasting I rinse down the surfaces with water and the exposed unpainted metal is good for up to 5 days with out any flash oxidation.

Of course you want to primer metal as soon as it's dries, but it's good knowing you have a window of time to do things right.

You from Joysey????? What exit?????

That sounds like a phosphric acid solution what kind of primer do you use over it???

65GTO455 02-03-2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadbodyman
ospho...thats what I use my rusty restos

Ospho... also my preferred method. Available at virtually any hardware store. :thumbup: I used this stuff to take my whole car down to bare metal. So far, for the past year the car has remained rust free as I continue body work to get ready for primer. Let it dry, sand it off, wipe down with alcohol and then prime.

I have used gells that claim to do the same as naval jelly, but the rust just keeps coming back. Its like that chap stick that keeps making your lips more chap. :evil:

deadbodyman 02-04-2011 07:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Rust In california ?????? Well I guess theres rust And then theres "RUST" we'z gots "RUST" over here.

That black epoxy primer dont look so bad when it rains out...

mitmaks 02-04-2011 10:09 PM

i like por15. Did a trunk in a car over 6 years ago and it's still holding up great

200horse 02-08-2011 01:03 AM

try anti rust by tntrustremover.com its a waterbase enviormantally product that keeps rust from returning. I spayed my car and so far no rust has returned. They say before you paint it you wash it down with hot soapy damp cloth or sponge

good luck

ron82 02-08-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitmaks
i like por15. Did a trunk in a car over 6 years ago and it's still holding up great

In all fairness having done this a few times i would suggest that you remove any and all rust before primering your car for paint if you want a quality paint job and one that will last. One said there is no paint that will go over rust, well any paint will but it will not stop it and the rust will come thru and bubble up fill with water and then problem worse. Im sure that is what he meant. remove the rust and use a GOOD cleaner and degreaser on the bare metal before primering it. My brother in law took his 71 Cuda to a guy that was supposed to do all this and came to me less then two years later, he charged him $7.000 plus to do the work that he never did. now the cars in a shameful state. The por-15 for under carriage is excellent and lasting. Just trying to save you some $ and misery that you'll have if you do not prep the car correctly now. Just a suggestion...Ron

AtlantiGreenPro 03-02-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadbodyman
You from Joysey????? What exit?????

That sounds like a phosphric acid solution what kind of primer do you use over it???

I use all kinds of primers over Holdtight all depends on what the finish is.

Lots of great test info from paint manufactures here on Holdtight 102: http://www.holdtight.com/coating-test-data/

deadbodyman 03-04-2011 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlantiGreenPro

I was just reading your link with interest.
Have you tried wet blasting a car ???? sounds interesting...
hold tight dont seem to protect bare metal very long ,when I strip a car and scrub in Ospho the metal is protected for months in the shop and weeks outside...its mostly phosphoric acid so its NOT eco friendly (I dont think)....(it's in soft drinks)
ospho is not really a spray on and walk away product unless you just want to slow the rust down on something sitting out back ,then you put it in a pump spray bottle and spray the rust spots ,eventually the rain will will wash it off and it'll have to be redone every month or two (depending on how much it rains) But it will keep a rusty car from getting worse ...

redsdad 03-04-2011 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techron
the best thing i have found to de-rust small parts is muriatic acid,..

I hope you meant to say phosphoric acid. Muriatic is hydrochloric acid. Using HCl on carbon steel can result in hydrogen embrittlement which will lead to cracking of the part under stress. Too risky IMHO.