Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Rust inside the B pillar (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/rust-inside-b-pillar-215749.html)

mustangsal 02-29-2012 08:03 PM

Rust inside the B pillar

How do you guys deal with rusty hard to reach areas? I've got 2 areas of concern in the '66 Mustang I'm working on. The insides of the B pillars and the ballon assembly between the trunk and rear glass.

I've thought about spraying the area down with Ospho, but I'm not sure that the best let alone a good idea.

gto_ron 03-01-2012 07:03 AM

I've never used Ospho but I assume it's something like RustMort or a dozen other phosphoric acid-based solutions on the market; if not then I'm way off. Eastwood sell a sprayer for reaching into deep inaccessible areas, I'd try it with several coats of epoxy primer after you've used the rust conditioner and given it time to dry thoroughly.

regards

Ron

Irelands child 03-01-2012 07:42 AM

With as many first generation Mustang parts available to a restorer, I sure wouldn't fool around with those "magic potions' which only put off the inevitable next repair. That's a well known rot area for those cars and will again if not done right.

swvalcon 03-01-2012 08:54 AM

Ditto on that . You can buy a whole mustang in parts so cheap its unbeliveable. Fix it right now and not have to worry about it later.

mustangsal 03-01-2012 09:23 PM

Believe it or not it's the only section not reproduced yet... Part of the roof, above where he rear quarter attaches...

I guess we'll try a media blast and ospho followed by a good primer

Irelands child 03-02-2012 05:31 AM

I assume you have looked at Dynacorn as they build an entire body plus CJ Mustang who have a big selection of body parts (I've bought from them in the past when I had Mustangs)

da34guy 03-02-2012 05:41 AM

The doctor doesn't put a band aid on a heart attack does he?
Cut out the panels and replace or you'll B sorry down the road.

deadbodyman 03-02-2012 07:21 AM

A doctor also wont give you a new heart because of a heart attack ,its always best to stick with the original..

If you change out all the panels just because they have surface rust on the inside you might as well give up now and buy one of those (pos) repop mustangs and put twice the money in it that it'll ever be worth or even ..and I'll tell ya something else ,that pillar with the surface rust inside would most likely out last any recycled rust panel from China.

Dipping it would be best but very expensive. usualy a good dip would consist of a first dip to remove all paint even inside welded seams...a second dip in Phosphric acid (just like the factory does) then third ,a dip in epoxy.

Ospho is great product but not a magic cure and might be your only option.
I use a lot of it and trust it completely.If you decide to go this route let me know and I'll give you a few tips....meanwhile...a few pics would help

Irelands child 03-02-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadbodyman
A doctor also wont give you a new heart because of a heart attack ,its always best to stick with the original..

If you change out all the panels just because they have surface rust on the inside you might as well give up now and buy one of those (pos) repop mustangs and put twice the money in it that it'll ever be worth or even ..and I'll tell ya something else ,that pillar with the surface rust inside would most likely out last any recycled rust panel from China.

Dipping it would be best but very expensive. usualy a good dip would consist of a first dip to remove all paint even inside welded seams...a second dip in Phosphric acid (just like the factory does) then third ,a dip in epoxy.

Ospho is great product but not a magic cure and might be your only option.
I use a lot of it and trust it completely.If you decide to go this route let me know and I'll give you a few tips....meanwhile...a few pics would help

Mike - those rotted originals on soooooo many Mustangs is often what ends up putting them in a scrap yard (along with torque boxes) as they aren't fun to change. Those parts are a couple reasons why I passed years back on doing these pony cars ever.......