Rust-oleum - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013, 02:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rust-oleum

Hey everyone Happy 4th ,

First time painter here has anyone ever used rust-oleum Auto paint to paint there car .Reason i ask is because i used that product for all the body work and the body store says i should stick with that product something about the word stops rust on the can it might have oil base in it .
If so did u like the way it turned out ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2013, 03:58 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Rustoleum is Alkyed enamel with no UV inhibitors. Even their so called auto paint is the same but I think you have their regular ' protective enamel '. Either way, the body shop is right. The Alkyed enamel will react with any topcoat you put on it that is not alkyed enamel unless you remove it all.. That said it will oxidize but with a few coats of rusto, you can keep cutting the oxidized paint off by wetsanding and polishing, tho it will only shine for 6 months or so, and you will run out of paint to sand after a while.
The Following User Says Thank You to matt167 For This Useful Post:
macrobert68 (07-04-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 09:43 PM

Last photo:

so if i clear coat over it will the shine last ?

The body shop supplier also said cover everything with a waterborn primer than a good paint .do you know where i can get that product? Ever heard of such a thing ?
The place i was at didnt sell this product

Last edited by macrobert68; 07-04-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:52 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

You could only use the Rustoleum or other Alkyed enamel clear which still will not hold the shine for long due to the lack of UV inhibitors.. I would not listen to the body shop. Alkyed enamel is compatible with alkyed enamel and it will react with most everything else. Putting a water born primer ontop of alkyed enamel is asking for trouble. You need to sand down below the rustoleum if you want a good primer/ paint that won't cause issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to matt167 For This Useful Post:
macrobert68 (07-05-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 11:08 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I did a test panel with Rust-o-leum about or so 5 years ago. Cut it 50/50 with mineral spirits and applied it with a foam roller.

Sanded with 2000 grit and polished with (something or other), then, because of other pressures, I wound up just leaving in the yard.

Haven't touched it since. Never washed it, certainly never waxed it (treated it like all my other cars! )

Still looks VERY good, no oxidation, no hazing, (just filthy dirty) It seems to retain shine much better than my neighbor's new Ford, and is a LOT more idiot-proof (And as the world-record-holding idiot - as recognized in the Guiness book - I should know!)

It is the ONLY painting method that I can use that does not result in orange peel, runs, sags, tiger stripes, (or brush strokes! )

Last edited by Dave57210; 07-04-2013 at 11:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave57210 For This Useful Post:
macrobert68 (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 08:15 AM

Last journal entry: Still running strong

I sprayed my radiator a year ago with Rust-oleum Professional High Performance enamel (rattle can black gloss) thinking that it wouldn't hold up real well. Meaning I though the gloss would be gone. But its still glossy an looks really good. In fact I've sprayed my rocker panels & a trim strip around the wheel opening with it, I'm not going to spray clear over it I want it to remain satin. I went an bought a qt. an sprayed 3 coats, reduce with acetone, when it was still wet it looked like it had some orange peel but when it dried it was smooth, turned out really well.
The Following User Says Thank You to dogwater For This Useful Post:
macrobert68 (07-05-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwater View Post
I sprayed my radiator a year ago with Rust-oleum Professional High Performance enamel (rattle can black gloss) thinking that it wouldn't hold up real well. Meaning I though the gloss would be gone. But its still glossy an looks really good. In fact I've sprayed my rocker panels & a trim strip around the wheel opening with it, I'm not going to spray clear over it I want it to remain satin. I went an bought a qt. an sprayed 3 coats, reduce with acetone, when it was still wet it looked like it had some orange peel but when it dried it was smooth, turned out really well.
hi dogwater
when u sprayed your Rust-oleum what mix did u use 1 paint to what part acetone. and how much preasure, what kind of spray gun I want to use black rust-oleum I did a panel not to good lol thanks abrenn
Old 07-19-2013, 02:47 AM

Last photo:

It has been said the Rustoleum Tractor Enamel is more durable but the color selection may be less than the regular.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:51 AM

Last photo:

I had a service (frito lay) box van that I painted with Rustoleum. I bought 2 gallons at Lowes and a sponge roller. I rolled it YES rolled it! It was amazing how well it flowed out and it actually looked better than some spray paint jobs I have seen. I do not recommend using it on a street rod or something similar though. As said above it won't last...
Old 07-19-2013, 07:13 AM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

I painted my old beater '65 C10 with Rustoleum Safety Orange, but did a faux patina look. It's not for everybody, I simply wanted all the panels the same color, but didn't want to leave it in primer so this worked out well for me.

More details in my build thread here, paint starts on post #74: Lakeroadsters' Build Thread: '65 SWB Step - Page 5 - Classic Parts Talk

Good luck to ya.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:38 AM

Last journal entry: Still running strong

I went to Home depot an bought a qt. of Rustoleum high performance enamel satin black. I mixed in about 3/4 of an oz. of acetone into 5 oz. Of the satin black. Sprayed it with my HF purple gun, I have a regulator on it an set it to 30 psi., fluid control was turned out 3 turns, then turned fan to full fan the gave it 1/2 turn back. Sprayed my rockers covers with 2 wet coats, wait about 5 mins. between coats. When it still wet it looks kind of lumpy but it flattens out as it drys. It was sprayed over primer surfacer, you can spray urethane to the edge of it but don't get any on top of the Rustoleum, they don't like each other. The high performance paint is much better that the regular Rustoleum.

Last edited by dogwater; 07-19-2013 at 07:48 AM. Reason: more info
Old 07-19-2013, 07:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
I painted my old beater '65 C10 with Rustoleum Safety Orange, but did a faux patina look. It's not for everybody, I simply wanted all the panels the same color, but didn't want to leave it in primer so this worked out well for me.

More details in my build thread here, paint starts on post #74: Lakeroadsters' Build Thread: '65 SWB Step - Page 5 - Classic Parts Talk

Good luck to ya.

I like this look! Good job!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.