Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rust question
Thread: Rust question
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 06:58 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I'm a big fan of Ospho but its a lot of work to remove rust with it.(even though you dont neutralize it) its even more work using it on a motorcycle frame. It does do two things that cant be disputed though,it REMOVES rust and protects bare metal from getting surface rust...many folks have had problems with primers having adheasion problems (bubbles and such) and there are reasons this happens that I wont get into right now. I suggest for first time users to use it for rust removal and the protection it provides but when it comes time to prime sand it off so there wont be any adheasion problems....
If it was me and I was doing a cycle frame I would do it the ez way and NOT use Ospho to remove the rust but use the electrolytic process.I'd buy a 10.00 kiddie pool deep enough to submerge the frame and 5.00 worth of "wash soda" NOT baking soda. all you do is drop the frame in the solution and connect a 12v battery charger or a battery and leave it for a day or two ,theres no easier or cheaper way to remove rust...

After THAT I would Ospho to protect the metal from surface rust if your not going to prime right away....but sand it off before priming,piece of cake.

Phoshphric acid products are like primers and paints ,theres many brands and they make a lot of promises they HAVE to be used properly. IMO, Ospho is THE best and the only one I use. That and epoxy primer is one hellava combination...I wont do a resto without it....or my SPI epoxy...