Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rust question
Thread: Rust question
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 07:59 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I used to be..Now I'm the Richmond county coroner...
Not really, but I work do with a lot of rusty cars and my last project was so rotted out everyone said it was dead and I should just bury it..Little by little as the work progressed they all stopped laughing and started giving me nicknames ,"The Deadbodyman" stuck or DBM ,my son came up with it.personally I prefer BDBM the B stands for brain....Anyone that will take on something like this has some serious "metal" illness issues...(and I'd like to meet them)
Heres a few old pics to get an idea of what can be done without ANY media blasting,basiclly just a heavy wire cup on a side grinder and Ospho to remove rust,then epoxy primer,after 10 years (most outside) no rust poping through or blisters. any time a company says only use thier products as a system its TOTAL BULLS*IT.....But then again I like using the best product available for the application so I dont use ANY PPG products with the exception of "Omini Plus" base coat when I need something cheap,its actually some of the best cheap base out there. I would have you notice PPG or any of the paint companies wonT say DONT use any other products with thiers its always "We dont recomend" using any other products with ours.In the 35 yrs of doing this work I've never used any one brand from start to finish. theres a few brands that in my opinion are simply the best out there and I wont (not cant) substitute,like Ospho for rust,SPI epoxy primer, and SPI clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img011.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	67758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Car4.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	554.5 KB
ID:	67759   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2047 (Small).JPG
Views:	61