Rust question...again - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2008, 01:16 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rust question...again

Seems the more I dig, the more rust I find.

So, the latest problem I found is rust that started on the exterior (lower door sill area, hidden under a trim layer), ate through the metal, and now the inside surface of the metal is rusted (lots of rust flakes inside the cavity) along with the outside surface. I guess water/moisture got in through the rust holes and rusted the inside. This area is all contained from the elements, i.e. it's like a rectangular "tube" of sorts. If I seal up the outside, I do not believe there's any way for water to get inside.

In an ideal world, I know the best advice would be to cut out all the rust and replace with new metal. The problem is I can manage cutting out the rusted areas (the areas with holes) and replacing that, but it looks like the entire inside surfaces has at least surface rust, if not worse. I can't manage to cut it all out. That is WAY beyond my skill level. I hate to say it but I've gotten to the point where I just need to get this done and move on. If I need to redo it later, that's fine. I need to find an easier project for my skill level.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, besides cutting out all the metal and replacing, what's the next best option? The door sill is, if you can imagine, a rectangular steel section, about 2x3" or so.

Note: I sprayed rattle can paint over the sanded bare metal (and the rusty areas) because I won't be able to work on it for a week or so and I didn't want it to rust even more.
Thanks, Scot

Advertisement

Last edited by ScotY; 09-27-2008 at 04:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2008, 06:56 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

That area, from what I can tell is the rocker of the vehicle. Not sure what vehicle it is, but if it is a unibody vehicle, that is very important as it is a structural member. Even if it isn't a unibody vehicle, it will cause problems with the door fit. That area needs to be fixed properly, or you are definately wasting your time.

Aaron
Old 09-27-2008, 07:43 AM

Last photo:

It's not structural and, fortunately, the upper area near where the door meets up to it is sturdy.

I guess my question is if rust exists on the backside of the metal and this side is not exposed to the elements, what should I do about it? I obviously have some cutting and patching to do, but you wouldn't cut out the sturdy areas if there's rust on the backside? I know, ideally you would, but I can't get patch panels so replacing it all will be tough. I need the next best options.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:41 AM

Last journal entry: time flies
Last photo:

if it was mine i would cut out the rusted sections, spray in some rust coating like a por15 and weld on the new patch metal. yes the rust may work its way back through in time but its better than opening up and replaceing most of the rocker panel.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:51 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

[QUOTE=ScotY]It's not structural and, fortunately, the upper area near where the door meets up to it is sturdy.

QUOTE]

WOW.... That is a relief, since they are structural to some extent on most all vehicles.

As far as repair, anything short of replacing damaged metal is about equal to painting over rotted roof rafters in your house.

Aaron
Old 09-27-2008, 10:50 PM

Last photo:

You know how I know it's not structural? Because I've seen similar vehicles totally rotted out and they still drive down the street just fine. Just kidding, I'm no mechanic and I don't know for sure, but I do know that at least it's not a unibody.

I searched and searched and finally found what I think are aftermarket rockers! So, that's good news. The bad news is it's on ebay, but better that than nothing.

Hopefully, it's not too hard to cut out and replace.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

you might think that water can't get into those rocker panels, but water can get in, and evidently just laid in the panels rotting the metal.

The water didn't have anyway of draining, so it just laid in the panel.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:16 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Actually, most rocker panels have drains for the water to get out. If you look at the photo, just below and between the holes, there is a buldge at the joint area. That is likely a drain at the joint. Most vehicles have them that way.

Aaron

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.