Rust removal from Lower A arms other suspension parts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2007, 03:33 PM

Last journal entry: Brake? Steering?
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rust removal from Lower A arms other suspension parts

I saw a "Trucks" show yesterday and they brieftly spoke about using Arm and Hammer super washing soda in water (1tsp to 1 pint ???) with the part mostly submerged and the negative clamp from a charger attached to it. The positive lead was to be connected to another piece of metal sitting in the water but not the part. The charger was supposed to be set at 2 amps and within "48hours" the submerged portion of the part would be free of rust! Sounds great as I've worn myself ragged blasting, grinding, brushing, sanding and swearing the rust off the lower A arm on one side with very slow progress. Anybody have any insight on this? How about the frame where it would be impossible to do this? I want to get it cleaned up and painted before I press new bushings in and reassemble the front end of my 55 Ford with Granada spindles.

Thanks a lot!

Ron

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Just so happens Bad Link..no worky this guy has done it and has all the instruction tha tyou will need..I suppose one could do a chassis or a body with this technique but it woudl take a real big container..

Sam

Last edited by OneMoreTime; 02-05-2007 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Bad link
Old 02-05-2007, 04:01 PM

Last photo:

for alot more links goooogle: electrolytic rust removal.......been done, in use for 50 years+

do the frame? got a swimming pool in the back yard?
Old 02-05-2007, 07:25 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Guys!

Thanks for the info. Again, this site and all your knowledge is fantastic and a huge help! Invaluable. And you know, I've got a friend with an inground swimming pool ....................... heh heh heh
Old 02-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

OneMoreTime - your link doesn't seem to be working.

Here's another link:

http://www.davidbradley.net/ERR.html
Old 02-06-2007, 05:30 AM

Last photo:

sam, your link worked fine for me
Old 02-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Well in any case what the electolytic rust removal deal is is the following..

Get a large plastic tub big enough to hold the part then get some re-bar or something like that to be arranged around the perimeter of the tub..attach the positive lead from your battery charger to the re-bar..I forget if those are the anodes or cathodes but any way the positive goes there..

then hang the part in the center of the tub and attach the negative lead to the part..

Mix some Arm and Hammer Washing soda < this is important! and water and pour enough in to cover the part...turn on the battery charger and wait awhile..depending on the size of the part and how much current your battery charger puts out will tell the tale on how long it will take to get the rust off and of course how rusty the part is..

Some guys put a timer on the charger as if one forgets the part it can be evaporated to nothing if left in there too long..

The science is a bit complicated but the making of one of these is not..

One safety note use the stuff out lined as using any thing else can create a hazard..the electrolysis process does create hydrogen and oygen from breaking down the waer so good ventilation is important..don't want to here of any one blowing up their garage..

Sam
Old 02-08-2007, 01:48 PM

Last photo:

Charger Amperage?

Hi again, sorry to be a pest! I've got my set up for the rust removal going, actually for a few days now, with little or no change to the rust on the A Arm. I've been running my charger at 10 amps but it has the capacity to go to 55 amps. Should I run it that high?

I've got a large plastic bin (roughly 10" deep x 15" wide x 24" long) about 16 gal of water and a mixture of the Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda at 1T to every quart I believe. I used about 32 T of the Washing soda. My A Arm is mostly submerged and I've connected the negative lead to the extension protruding from the water. I have 2 - 1" x 10" black steel bolts attached to the side of the bin with c clamps and not touching the bottom or the part. I used some copper wire (thick about 1/8" diameter, unshielded) to connect from bolt to bolt. The positive clamp is on one of the bolts. It is currently running at 10A but I'm thinking of boosting that up to the max on my charger (55A START). What do you think? I don't want to burn out my charger (I doubt that it would) yet I would love to see something after running since Sunday!

I've read the link you sent thoroughly and I see it doesn't say how high to set the charger and the TRUCKS! show I saw said to run it at 2amps (which is what the meter says on the charger at all settings).

Thank you so much for the help. I really do hope to become more self sufficient as I get going on the project! Sure anxious to move it along, especially since my front end parts have arrived!
Old 02-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

use 1/2 cup to 5 gallons of water..best to mix with hot water as that helps to dissolve the material..

Another setup

try upping the setting on the battery charger..does take a bit of fiddling to get it to work..

Sam
Old 02-08-2007, 02:05 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Sam!

I'll go kick the charger up to 55 amps and see how that seems to be working after a while. I may pour it all out and start over. I was just reading an article about it that I got on Google. The system this person uses is a bit more complex with plates all around the tub, bottom etc. Wowzers!
Old 02-08-2007, 03:26 PM

Last photo:

small chance that the plating on the bolts is why.....
needs to be "raw" iron/steel....your moving "iron rust ions" from one piece of iron to the other piece of iron....iron rust won't transfer to cadmium, zinc, galvanized etc....hit them with your grinder

you need more bolts, for a whole A arm = more surface area or once "some rust" is transfered, the bolt surface has a higher resistance, slows down the transfer
Old 02-08-2007, 03:31 PM

Last photo:

Thanks, I've got some rebar around behind my shop left over from when I built it last year. I'll dig some out this weekend and grind off around the ends and place them all around the edge of the bin with connections. That may work better. What they showed on the Powerblock Trucks! show sure was a lot easier! They showed an A arm they had done with just one piece of metal in the bin and a charger connected running at 2 amps. What they showed after 48 hours was remarkable and clean / free of rust. Probably ran it for 48 days is what I'm thinking!
Old 02-10-2007, 12:54 AM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

I've used this process for several years now. I have yet to see it remove rust completely. I will soak parts for half a day then scrub with wire brush and/or scotchbrite pad, then soak again with the battery charger on 2 amps. When its working properly you will see small bubbles coming off the part and you will get a brown foam floating around the sacrificial steel in the water solution.

I also derust small parts in muriatic acid, not recommended because of the dangerous fumes and caustic fluid, but they come out of the bucket like new and rust free. The acid solution works well when the parts are submerged in the solution, not as well when brushing on out in the open.

Never uses stainless steel for a sacrificial anode.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:17 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Too Many!

I think I've got this working pretty well now. I've got 2 1" x 10" black steel bolts connected with copper wire across from each other in the tub. Lots of little bubbles, a thick rust brown colored foam forming. I am thinking the TRUCKS show I saw that said their A arm took 48 hours with 1 rod acting as an annode was either incorrect or their A Arm didn't have 52 years of rust on it!

Thanks to all that replied with the great tips! This remains to be the most fantastic source for "how to" hotrod info!

Hope to help someone else in the days ahead!
Old 02-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Lurker...

Last photo:

The clip from Trucks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJeXwsl87us

I got lucky & happened to DVR it on my computer. So I uploaded it.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.