Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rust removal...........the miracle of molasses!
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 09:30 PM

Last journal entry: '27 roadster quarter panels from scratch
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rust removal...........the miracle of molasses!

This is what I had to work with. A rusty/rotted mess! The PO found it 10' off the ground nesting in a tree that had grown up under it!

After a couple of weeks in a molasses bath the transformation is incredible!

You'll notice rust on the lower 6" or so. That's because the first time I tried it, my pond liner had a leak and most of the molasses drained out. So, I left it in and it dissolved the rust on the first 6". Got a new liner and flipped the panels over. The rusty part was originally clean but stuck out and was exposed to air. It's only surface rust that'll come off with a light sandblasting (as will the flash rust that begins forming almost immediately).

First run with the doors (notice no harm to original paint, rubber or pot metal).............

Built a 4'x4' box out of scrap 2x4's and OSB.............

Installed a reclaimed pond liner from an old pond in our backyard...............

Proof positive that an entire '27 Model T roadster will fit in a 4'x4' box..........

20 gallons of molasses bought at a local feed store for $60 including tax, then mixed with water at a 7:1 ratio - 7 parts water to 1 part molasses............

Entire car submerged in the brew (until most of it leaked out)!.............

Replaced the liner, added some more molasses and after two weeks............wah lah! Yeah.......it works!!