Rust removal with molasses - it works! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2006, 08:56 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rust removal with molasses - it works!

I seen this procedure mentioned here and a few other places and thought what the hell I might as well give it a try. The molasses to water ratio on my test was 1-4 but 1-10 was suggested in one of the posts I had read. I have no idea if the stronger ratio works better or worse than the weaker ratio suggested. I had a $3 gallon of feed molasses setting in the shed left over from deer season so I dumped it in a five gallon bucket and added about 4 gallons of water. Then I set in some misc fasteners, brackets, etc. and let them set for a week. Yesterday I took a look and 100% of the rust was gone from the lightly rusted pieces and about 80% of the rust on the crusty pieces was gone. With another week of soaking I'm sure the severely rusted pieces will be clean.

Now some might say two weeks is a long time but in my opinion it's really no big deal considering how long some of these restoration type jobs can take. I see some really good applications for this procedure, just let the parts soak while you work on other areas of the job. There's really no work at all other than the initial setup. And no toxic fumes! And no hazardous waste from what I can see.

Maybe somebody with more molasses soaking experience will jump in and shed more light on the subject. Anyway, I thought it was interesting and thought I'd share. Try it, Bob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2006, 09:55 AM

Last photo:

Interesting to say the least!
Old 01-22-2006, 09:57 AM

Last photo:

I heard vinegar works too.I would think the amount of water needed to clean the molasses off would cause a flash rust problem. I prefer muritac acid. Its much quicker.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.