Rust removal with molasses - it works!
I seen this procedure mentioned here and a few other places and thought what the hell I might as well give it a try. The molasses to water ratio on my test was 1-4 but 1-10 was suggested in one of the posts I had read. I have no idea if the stronger ratio works better or worse than the weaker ratio suggested. I had a $3 gallon of feed molasses setting in the shed left over from deer season so I dumped it in a five gallon bucket and added about 4 gallons of water. Then I set in some misc fasteners, brackets, etc. and let them set for a week. Yesterday I took a look and 100% of the rust was gone from the lightly rusted pieces and about 80% of the rust on the crusty pieces was gone. With another week of soaking I'm sure the severely rusted pieces will be clean.
Now some might say two weeks is a long time but in my opinion it's really no big deal considering how long some of these restoration type jobs can take. I see some really good applications for this procedure, just let the parts soak while you work on other areas of the job. There's really no work at all other than the initial setup. And no toxic fumes! And no hazardous waste from what I can see.
Maybe somebody with more molasses soaking experience will jump in and shed more light on the subject. Anyway, I thought it was interesting and thought I'd share. Try it, Bob