Rust Removal Options - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 05:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chevymon, how did you remove the rust on your door bottoms? Now do you epoxy prime them to prevent it from coming back? The problem is that it's hard to treat where 2 metals come together like where the door skin meets the inner door. I have some similar rust in other locations and I was trying to decide what to do. It's hard to tell how deep the pits are.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 05:39 PM

Just my two cents worth on por 15. I've had very good results with it. I don't know how you got it off so easily. I havn't found any stripper that will cut it. I've even used a scailler to try and remove it. I don't use the prep stuff. Right out of the can works best for me.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:43 PM

Last photo:

Hold on there Billyzz, Nobody is criticizing anybody! I just find it interesting how other people deal with rust! And believe me, the more that I get into my project, the more I am on a budget! When I started , I was going to do a small rust repair at the bottom of the rear window! Now the whole car is bare metal. What a can of worms! Every day I ask myself if I've gone too far?
Old 08-05-2012, 06:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinges56 View Post
Chevymon, how did you remove the rust on your door bottoms? Now do you epoxy prime them to prevent it from coming back? The problem is that it's hard to treat where 2 metals come together like where the door skin meets the inner door. I have some similar rust in other locations and I was trying to decide what to do. It's hard to tell how deep the pits are.
My local rust stripper has an oven to bake the paint and undercoating off----and that is a very important step because I think it is sulfuric acid that some strippers use for paint removal that causes the problems you here about.

After the Paint and all is loose it gets power washed and then it goes in the phosphoric acid bath (very similar to ospho) but the problem is that they heat it so it works quicker, but then a quick dip doesn't get all the rust off. So when I get it home I use the phosphoric acid and a wire brush to finish it. The stripper charges $30 for a door. I like the electrolysis a lot better because they get it all, but the price is $85 for a door.

After its cleaned and rinsed I put a scratch pattern on it, W&G it, then tape all the holes and pour SPI epoxy in and roll the door around. I left enough in the bottom to seal the seam.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:29 PM

Last photo:

i have done the electrolysis at home on rusty stuff.
there are how-to's all over the web.
my buddy did an engine block.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:55 AM

Last photo:

Gringo, I used Jasco paint remover and within 60 seconds, the Por15 was blistering and bubbling! Maybe youre on to something, just paint it on without the marine clean and metal ready? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it should resist paint removers. All I know is it didn't stop the rust on my car so I took it ALL OFF and I'm now 100% free of Por15. I might try some of whats left on my shovel or my lawnmower, but never again on my car! No way!
Old 08-18-2012, 12:08 PM

Last photo:

I am restoring a Firebird. I used the pressurized blaster from Harbor Freight on everything. It works great after I replaced the valve with an ALC unit. I replaced the manifold with an ordinary t-pipe.

On all the seams and areas where metal was hidden I took the time to drill or break every spot weld. You will be amazed how much rust is just sitting under what people claim to be a "rust free" car. My Firebird was and is still partially like this.

I then epoxy primered all the pieces(So far hood, Fenders, trunk lid) and then welded them back together with my stick welder.(not the best choice in welding) I used eastwood anti rust to fill in all the seams and under parts.

I tried wire wheels, naval Jelly, etc. Nothing cleans as well or as fast as a pressure blaster(those siphon ones don't count) Some complain it makes a mess. It don't matter I don't mind vacuuming the media off my garage floor and sifting it through a screen.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinges56 View Post
Hold on there Billyzz, Nobody is criticizing anybody! I just find it interesting how other people deal with rust! And believe me, the more that I get into my project, the more I am on a budget! When I started , I was going to do a small rust repair at the bottom of the rear window! Now the whole car is bare metal. What a can of worms! Every day I ask myself if I've gone too far?
I felt the same way. Just gotta keep going till you finish.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.