Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rust removal and some pitting from metal
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 01:00 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathanw View Post
Update***
Ok so I decided to start prepping it for paint. I sanded with 80, 120, 150, 400 grit. Washed it then the pitted areasi used body filter then resanded it. It came out smooth. I used preventative rust primer. The only spot that made me want to pull my hair out was the "gas can doors"on the side. It took me probably 15 hours sanding those two cans. The other side was easy, but it wasn't pitted as bad. Here are some pictures. Ive only done one coat. After it dries ill sand it with 800 &1500 grit. Then put second coat on.
Should I put clear coat on it?
This one is the spot I spent most of the time on

I like the way the red came out.

I'm sorry I can't see the pictures...but you are obviously meticulous about your truck and I respect that....Now, if I can give you a little advice. If your prepping with 80 grit, there is no need to step it up to 120, and or 150 before putting filler on the pitted areas. I know it's a little late now but in the future you can go from 80 grit to filler, finish your filler in 280 or 320 (and that is plenty fine enough) and then primer. Finish sanding your primer in 400 grit and you should be ready for paint...what kind of paint are you putting on the truck?

Please try uploading the pictures again...I think it would help. If you haven't opened the packages of 800 grit and 1500 grit...you in all probability don't need them unless you want to polish the truck. As far as clear coating goes, I can't answer that until you tell me what kind of paint your using.

Ray