Rust Removal Tips - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2009, 05:10 PM

Last journal entry: Por 15
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rust Removal Tips

Yes I searched, Yes I read the Wiki entry on rust.

I am posting this message because I would like some advice specific to my situation. First off you can view my project journal if you want to see all the progress.

I have cut out the section of sheetmetal that were heavily rotted. So this i s where I stand as of Today.

I have hit the entire area with a wire brush and een an abrasive wheel where I could. I am stuck with a bunch of tight corners. I used the wire brush tool for my Dremel but that didn't really clean the rust up.
As you can see. There are some tight areas where a large wire brush can't get into, and a small wire brush just falls apart.

So my question is, how the hell can I get this rust knocked off enough to spray on?

Next, My buddy told me that I could use some Rustoleum paint diluted with 15% acetone to seal the rust. This would be a subsitute to the Por15 stuff.

Another area of concern is here:

But I am buying a patch panel and I believe the major of this rust will be removed when I install the new patch panel. I would still like some advice on removing this rust incase the patch panel doesn't cut it.

Thank you for your time.
-Todd

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2009, 06:12 PM

Last journal entry: time flies
Last photo:

do you have aircompressior ? try one of the small spot blasters. the one i have looks like a spray gun , i got it at tractor supply. it does a nice job for small projects.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:52 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing
do you have aircompressior ? try one of the small spot blasters. the one i have looks like a spray gun , i got it at tractor supply. it does a nice job for small projects.
I do have an air compressor. I was considering on buying an abrasive blaster for this very purpose. But, so many people were trying to talk me out of it.

Here is the thread where I was discussing abrasive blaster uses: Abrasive Blaster
Old 10-12-2009, 11:02 AM

Last journal entry: time flies
Last photo:

yes the media does go everywhere.........heres what i was talking about useing and its still best to be used outside.....but i did use mine on a couple tight areas inside and cleaned up the mess after........
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2009, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing
yes the media does go everywhere.........heres what i was talking about useing and its still best to be used outside.....but i did use mine on a couple tight areas inside and cleaned up the mess after........
What do you think about any of these items? And what type of abrasive should I use?

I can roll the car outside to an extent, but I would prefer not to...
Old 10-13-2009, 12:48 AM

Last photo:

I bought a $20 spot blaster at Harbor Freight and Tool (online), I use aluminum oxide (same place). I also got a big pair of sand blasting gloves at the same place, $10. I just got a big plastic storage tub, put in some hand /glove holes through it with a piece of plex as a cover. Also put a cheap florescent trouble light inside shining down.

For your app, I would get some good thick (8 ml (?)) clear plastic sheet and use duct tape to isolate an area at a time and funnel the sand down into a catch pan for reuse. You just need one glove cause your subject is stationary. stic a bright light inside. Cheap plastic is good.

It will dust up and you will have to wipe the inside of your plastic but it will work, little improvising.

Regards, PK
Old 10-13-2009, 07:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk44
I bought a $20 spot blaster at Harbor Freight and Tool (online), I use aluminum oxide (same place). I also got a big pair of sand blasting gloves at the same place, $10. I just got a big plastic storage tub, put in some hand /glove holes through it with a piece of plex as a cover. Also put a cheap florescent trouble light inside shining down.

For your app, I would get some good thick (8 ml (?)) clear plastic sheet and use duct tape to isolate an area at a time and funnel the sand down into a catch pan for reuse. You just need one glove cause your subject is stationary. stic a bright light inside. Cheap plastic is good.

It will dust up and you will have to wipe the inside of your plastic but it will work, little improvising.

Regards, PK
This is a pretty good idea. Since I am cutting the sheetmetal out of one section, I could probably place the tub right under the car in that area we will be blasting. Thanks

Im still looking for some tips
Old 10-13-2009, 10:58 AM

Last photo:

Hope it helps, had a thought after I signed off. A perfect thing for the plastic; a cheap, clear shower curtain from a big box store, trim to suit. The trick is just to contain the sand for reuse and to keep it from bouncing back in your face.

If you go down this root, the real trick is just to improvise. My box looks nothing like it did when I started.

Be interesting to see what others come up with, I got a rust bucket I need to attack one day.

Regards PK
Old 10-14-2009, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk44
Hope it helps, had a thought after I signed off. A perfect thing for the plastic; a cheap, clear shower curtain from a big box store, trim to suit. The trick is just to contain the sand for reuse and to keep it from bouncing back in your face.

If you go down this root, the real trick is just to improvise. My box looks nothing like it did when I started.

Be interesting to see what others come up with, I got a rust bucket I need to attack one day.

Regards PK
PK,
Thanks for your words of wisdom. It really helps. You gave me a ton of ideas.
Im going to fold up some scrap metal, or even some cardboard and make a pyramid type sheifl to go around the nozzle. I am hoping this will help keep dust out of my face.
I will then put a long and somewhat wide plastic container under the car in the area where I am blasting. This will work well for the area picture, because Im going to cut out the sheet metal on the body.

On the opposite side I am going to try and use a wet dry vacuum to suck up the media and hopefully reuse most of it.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:36 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I'll pm you.I got a sure cure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img011 (Small).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	41206   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5691 (Small).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	41208   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2047 (Small).JPG
Views:	89
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	41209   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5434 (Small).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	41210   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0131 (Small).JPG
Views:	90
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	41211  

Last edited by deadbodyman; 10-14-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Last photo:

Forget the Rustoleum, it's a very bad idea and will not stop or kill any rust. FWIW your buddy doesn't know squat about killing rust and I would not listen to any more advice from him.

Vince
Old 10-14-2009, 04:01 PM

Last photo:

Pretty clever idea. You could attach your shop vac directly into it. You will want to reuse that sand.You could blow through $10 worth of aluminum oxide on a square foot. could

Depending on hoe big your cone is, remember that the spray pattern is pretty focused, figure you'll be hitting a spot about the size of a quarter so you need to be able see to aim it. You might want to put a widow in your pyramid...a light to if you can (really makes a dif. the bright er the better.

Regards, PK
Old 10-14-2009, 05:40 PM

I bought a spot blaster that had the media comming out the middle and the vac on the outside edge it was great for trim hole rust not messy at all...
Old 10-14-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Forget the Rustoleum, it's a very bad idea and will not stop or kill any rust. FWIW your buddy doesn't know squat about killing rust and I would not listen to any more advice from him.

Vince
You tell him ,Vince ...Epoxy primer or dont bother wasting your time.A pos spray gun to get it on 20.00 and two gal of sprayable primer 180.00 its the only way to go ,never take chances after all that work...Dont forget to seam seal it afterwards

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.