rust removing and coating - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2005, 06:40 PM

Last journal entry: dash mods
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

rust removing and coating

I have my 38 Chev sedan disasembled.This was a running original car in pretty decent shape.Car is in paint and any rust underneath looks like faint surface rust.I want to clean the chassis, probably sandblast.I want to sand by hand and maybe acid clean any pitting that may be left on the bottom of the floor(underneath car).Too hard to move car body to blast.Does this sound like a good idea?
Also I was going to POR15 the chassis and under the car.Would epoxy primer be better.I'd have to brush it on as I have no compressor yet.I just can't buy that POR can be used over rust either.I haven't done much body work, but I've seen how rust travels under paint and just can't see coating it as the same as ridding it.
Merry Christmas, Cisco

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2005, 07:21 AM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

The thing I like about POR-15 is that even with a brush application it flows and you don't see brush strokes. I use two coats, per the instructions, and I haven't had any problems yet.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:58 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

Amazing stuff that POR-15..and it works too!!

I would clean off the loose rust and cover the rest. It seals and there-for does not allow the rust to continue rusting..no oxygen..no rust!!! Great stuff on inside panels and on frames!! Any rust morf or etching acid will seal the rust after grinding or wire wheeling off the loose stuff. Brush on the POR-15 and then apply sealer primer and then sand-able primer then paint if you want to or just leave the POR-15 finish without any other paint. Rust does NOT come back...great stuff!! Please...PLEASE remember to cover your skin, this stuff does not come off!! I have had some success with "goo gone" but nothing gets it all off!!

Tazz
Old 12-18-2005, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCiscoKid
I haven't done much body work, but I've seen how rust travels under paint and just can't see coating it as the same as ridding it.
Your statement here tells me you are wise beyond your years.

For lightly rusted panels Phosphoric acid mixtures are sold through auto body supply houses are excellent for cleaning all the rust off. I use a coarse scotch brite pad that I wet with the solution and scrub the panel to clean shiny metal. One brand sold is Rust Mort. Just look at the labels of metal preps and either the first or second ingredient will be Phosphoric acid. Clean shiny metal won't rust under paint. Rusty metal will.

I do a lot of body restoration and am currently REDOING a POR'ed vehicle. It's not the first time and it won't be the last.

Nothing in a wet spray beats epoxy primer. For your frame your best bet is to sandblast or dip and either powder coat or epoxy primer.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.