Rust repair help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2006, 07:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Rust repair help

I need help on my projects. My 1970 SS Chevelle is rusting in the back yard and my 1987 chev truck is rusting in the front yard. My wife says we are entering redneck status. I have no idea where to start. I have all the equiptment, sanders, welders, paint guns, sandblaster a big compressor, and a willing spouse. I got a few vhs tapes from the library that tell me nothing! The only thing I ever spray painted is my wife's wicker chair. I tried night school but they just let you play with their stuff for 2 hours a week and teach very little. I just sent for some cd's on e-bay. I hope they are what I'm looking for. I need to know step by step what to do. Such as what kind of primer with what paint, or does it really matter? What about welding a small panel? Do I spot weld then fibreglass over it or just fill it in with weld? What do I put behind the panel to keep it from rusting again? How do I get between the wheel well on the bed to rust proof it? Has anyone tried the cd's that I sent for on e-bay for $39? Thanks for any help!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2006, 07:50 PM
just a gearhead in paradise..

Last journal entry: last ones for now.
Last photo:

for paint, you might want to check out a local jobber to see what is available. they will probably have a few different grades, as well as single stage and basecoat/clear coat setups. your local jobber should be able to work with your budget and ability. and depending on the paint, how to apply it, what is the flash time etc... how did your wife's wicker chair come out? lots of runs? or did you get a nicely misted coat on there? if you kind of understand laying paint so you don't get drips, then that is part of learning...

as for panel repair, it all depends on ability and understanding... there are a lot of good examples here that should point you in the right direction... but you should assess what you are up against first. find out what patch panels exist for your car/truck... and what you may need to make or cut from a donor car. the good thing is there is alot of parts available for both your projects. doors, fenders, hoods, patch panels. for your car, check out NPD(national parts depot), goodmark, classic industries. for the truck, check out jc whitney, LMC truck, and again classic industries. if price is a major factor, expect to work more...

hope this helps a little, JD
Old 02-22-2006, 07:59 PM

Last photo:

Search the knowledge base here the answers (in depth) to all your questions can be found there
Old 02-22-2006, 08:07 PM

Last photo:

Its really hard to give a step by step, every car isn't going to take exactly the same steps. With a car thats "rusting away" and that old, original paint still? it is probably best to plan on stripping it all down to metal to see what you are dealing with. The method you choose is going to be up to you, but at home, you are probably accomplish that by paint stripper, sanding, or blasting, but anything you blast choose the right media for the job. sheetmetal panels can be ruined very easily by blasting. A lot of the things you will run into such as stripping, rust repair, panel replacement, different paint types and primers, all have been covered here. You might want to spend time reading through tons of old posts, and ask any specific questions you run into. Factory panels are typically lapped over another piece and spot welded in. If you are only patching, then the seam is usually welded solid, but the welds are skipped and you must be carefull to not to build up heat and warp. Todays paints and primers are much better then they were back in the year that Chevelle was made. Base/clear is very popular today, but some people like to use a single stage enamel to give a finish more like was used back then. There are many good brands of paint, but you must follow product sheets and see what you can use with them. The safest way would be to use one brand of primer and paint start to finish, but many people mix. Its up to you if you want to risk it to save a little money on product. The tech school is a good place to get hands on instruction. Only two hours a week? I am taking that this is a real basic night course. I took a full time course during the day, part classroom instruction, but we got at least a few hours to work in the shop everyday, and some days were mostly shop time. Or you could just give that chevelle to me.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.