Rust Repair Suggestions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2010, 07:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rust Repair Suggestions

I have another cab for my 57 Chevy pickup that I have been working on for a while and I am looking for some suggestions on repairing rust on a section of the upper firewall where the cowl and firewall is spot welded together.
This cab was dipped in large tank of chemical stripper years ago so everything was stripped clean. My problem is where the cowl and firewall spot weld together it's rusting again and the rust is pushing the 2 layers sheetmetal apart between the spotwelds. Any ideas short of drilling the spotwelds and cutting out and replacing with new metal ?
Gene
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6-14-10 014.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	46215   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-14-10 015.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	46216   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-14-10 016.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	46217   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-14-10 017.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	46218  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2010, 07:46 AM

Last photo:

Why not use the oportunity to cut out your firewall and make a new one.

You could have a super clean non-stamped firewall. A huge portion of the work is already done in your project.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:07 AM

57 firewall

Took a close look at the pictures you posted, don't know as I would be cutting out my firewall and installing a new one just yet. From what I see if you were to gently sand blast the area and tap with a welding hammer to locate any soft areas. Cut out the offending area and welding a patch with the proper gage metal and then treat and prime with an epoxy primer. An additional thing to take of would be the backside, sand blast and prime, followed by the application of seam sealer.
Hope this is helpful. Would most likely be easier,cheaper and you maintain the OEM firewall and all the specific holes and structure designed by GM. The replacement of the firewall does look real nice, but presents many other challenges particularily for structure and strength.
Best of luck which ever way you decide to go.
lowbux
Old 06-15-2010, 09:55 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

My take on it is that your Rust could be the result of the dipping, and that panel appears to be a lap weld-a great place for the chemicals from dipping to hide-it is very difficult to completely neutralize dipping Chemicals. I would either replace, seperate, re-neutralize or replace that metal-I think your fight to keep Paint in that area has just begun-do you have any other areas showing this?
Old 06-15-2010, 12:08 PM

Last photo:

35window
Your take on this is right on the money. The cab was primed after it was dipped then while it was uncovered in my backyard it got rained on once , thats when I started noticing where the water reactivated the chemical in the overlap spot welded seams was rusting in between and running out of the seams. There are a few other spots that are easier to fix and then seam seal. I was thinking of drilling out the spot welds then cut out about a 1 1/2 inch strip all the way across and kill the rust then weld in a new piece.
I like the look of the stock firewall and I am in the process of welding up all the holes in it.
Gene
Old 06-15-2010, 01:50 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Well, let's take this one more step-now that we know this was stored outside, it looks to me that you used a standard Primer (read: porous), that may have contributed to your problem-either way, it sure wouldn't hurt to know what's in between those panels-I'm kinda worried about that pinch weld too-

It may be better in the long run to make a bigger piece(s) to replace those (less Heat=less distortion)-either way, Epoxy Primer is your friend-

By the way, unless you are looking for a "period" look, you could possibly use one piece to fill in the gap and butt weld it-just a thought-

Last edited by 35WINDOW; 06-15-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:05 PM

Last photo:

I bought the cab along with some other pieces from the guy that had it stripped, I don't know what he used for primer. The pinch weld lip that runs across the firewall is two pieces. The bottom part of the firewall comes up and has a 90 degree bend that fits under the inner cowl piece that comes out and has that rolled over edge on it, I think that may be ok.
I was thinking of welding it all up from the inside where the 2 panels come together then cutting off the pinch weld lip and smoothing the upper part of the firewall. I'm still pondering that, mean while i'm welding up all the holes.
Gene
Old 06-15-2010, 06:57 PM

Last photo:

Just Do It

I'm talking here just out of respect, just fix it Gene. With the other cab work I've seen, you don't need a second opinion. now that you've posted photos, I'd let you work on anything I got. Nolan
Old 06-15-2010, 09:28 PM

Last photo:

Thank You, Nolan

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.