Rust Repairs? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2005, 04:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Yeah, definitely. I didn't even notice that. I guess I wasn't looking either. I know I was "burnt" like I said, but I'm going to try to do this car some justice. I researched the car itself, I guess I didn't research things like exterior problems and such. All I saw when I got there was a beautiful car [Beauty is in the eye of the beholder] that I wanted, so I bought it. Everybody has been telling me I've got ripped off and all of this, I'm just trying to look for some help about this, you know?
Anyways, thanks for the comments.

Peace be with you,
Haley

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2005, 08:32 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

So...what have you found out?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:59 PM

Last photo:

$10,000

The trunk needs to be completely redone.
The other minor things will be easier.
Thanks for all your help though.

Peace be with you
Haley
Old 04-12-2005, 10:33 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

like they said its real hard to estimate this way and its a fine line when this happens to buy or to have it bought out from under you the first thing used car dealers are like politians they all are crooks
all these pics show typical spots around the front and rear glass
around the wheel openings
the bottoms of the 1/4 panels and fenders and doors
also look at the cowling there is a spot where they put the fire wall to the front of the body there is seam there that will leak
check all the gaps inbetween the panels to make sure they are proportionate and alined
the rust in the trunk is probally the trunk gasket and was prob covered by the mat
what someone considers a frame off restoration is open for interprtation over all it doent look to be in bad shape at all
do you homework and make sure its what he said it is
take it to a few body shops ones that do excellent work and get a feel for iti f you havent gotten the title yet it may not be a totally done deal you might have some leagle recorse
is it a true SS matching numbers? im pretty sure those cars are fetching a good 35 40 thousand now.
please correct me if im wrong
good luck
sr66

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 04-13-2005, 12:35 PM

Last photo:

First of all, let me thank you for your info.
The deal is, I bought this car to be driven everyday and like I said they assured me I wouldn't have any problems.
Well, when I first got it it was 2 days late and I had never been in an old car before but common sense told me green stuff was NOT suppose to be leaking. Sure enough the radiator hose was busted and had to be towed back [another 500 dallors from me].
Sure they fixed the problem PER SAY... No it doesn't leak anymore but the Y hose on the thing was too big and a couple of months ago I was driving it and it came un attached and I learned very quickly that brakes will not work without that thing being attached. I could of gotten into a serious wreck but, yeah they could care less.
The deal with the VIN is that it is not a valid VIN, but the numbers do match.
I can't get a title for it so I'm stuck in a situation. I have a lawyer, I hate the idea of suing someone but I have already spent well over 40K on buying the car and repairs.
Rather then let the car go to rust, I wanted to fix the problem before it got any worse.
Anyways, if you have any other information you can share I'd love to hear it.

Peace,
Haley
Old 04-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

It's been 2 month's since you bought the car and you still don't have a title? And you keep shellin' out money to get things fixed? If the dealership is only 100 miles away why did you pay $500 to have it hauled there? I bet you could've found someone with a trailer to do it for a lot less than that. And you bought the car for a shade over 30k anfd have dumped almost another 10k into it for repairs and someone else wants ANOTHER $10k to fix what is bad? Either this story isn't on the up and up or you just have an unlimited amount of cash to drop. Seems like quite a bit of money for an 18 year old to be shelling out in 2 months time for something you haven't even got a title to. It doesn't seem like you are going to have too much left to spend on the lawyer. Best bet would be to document all the problems, take it to court, and see if you can force them to take the car back. Bad thing is you'll probably be out the 10k you already dropped on the car.

Kevin
Old 04-13-2005, 02:09 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin45
Bad thing is you'll probably be out the 10k you already dropped on the car.

Kevin
Yea, he'll be out an imaginary $10K along with his imaginary $30K for the car and the imaginary $10K he's paid to have stuff fixed.

I believe we have another case of a want-to-be making up stories.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:35 PM

Last photo:

Well,

I have no reason to doubt his story. He has posted several pictures of his car.
If he is honest about this story, he might not want to stick around on this bb now.

If he has come into some money somehow, then this story is conceivable. And, a very valuable learning lesson. If somehow I had come into money at 18, I might have done something foolish as well. He shouldn't feel that bad or embarrassed, I lost more $ in the Worldcom meltdown than that!
Live and Learn. And, learn he will. (The hard way.)

Roger
Old 04-13-2005, 02:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
Yea, he'll be out an imaginary $10K along with his imaginary $30K for the car and the imaginary $10K he's paid to have stuff fixed.

I believe we have another case of a want-to-be making up stories.

That was always in the back of my mind!
I gave benefit of doubt to the number of posts as almost did not answer.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:51 PM

Last photo:

First of all, I have NO reason in the world to lie about anything I've told you. I'm 18 and I've inherited some money from my father who was killed almost 2 years ago.
Yes, it was a stupid decision to just up and buy a car the first time I laid my eyes on it, but I'm trying to fix what I've done. I came to this site for help, nothing more.
I bought it to have as a car, seeing as how I HATE the new cars today. Bubbles and I'm not into that.
If you don't believe me that's fine, I'm not here to argue about this, just here to learn more about my car.
Now, I've had the car for 6 months. 2 months ago it bugged out and I was stuck with a huge bill of repairs. I haven't got the title and I have a lawyer working on it. In the mean time I wanted to do the car some justice and remove all the rust, make it look more nicer.
I wouldn't waste my time on this site if I didn't have the car.
Anyways, thanks again for your time.

Peace,
Haley

By the way, I'm a she not a he.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:01 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Calm down, there are a lot of yahoos out there that make these things up.

I am very sorry to hear that you lost your dad, it must be difficult. Not only that, you have used some of his money to buy what you thought was a great car and now you probably feel that he is looking down on you like you're some kind of fool. You are not a fool, just young.

I have absolutely no reason to not believe you as you have been telling a pretty sad story and not bragging or otherwise trying to prod others. I hope you have friends that know reputable mechanics and body technitions so you can get this car fixed right and at a reasonable price.

I truly hope things get better for you and don't think that this site is full of a bunch of sarcastic skeptics (although there are a few). Most people need to learn how to voice what they are thinking in a considerate manner.

Keep us posted on how things go.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:10 PM

Last photo:

Sorry if I sounded rude... I just felt attacked and I needed to explain some things. Thanks for actually listening. Yeah, I do feel kind of like I would of let my dad down. He would of wanted me to have a nice reliable car. I suppose he would of built me a Chevelle if I really wanted one.
I've always been fascinated with older cars because of the fact that I'm literally stuck in the 70s. I always have thought I was born in the wrong era. I've always liked more classic things then modern. I guess you can really get stiffed by people, if you buy something that fast.
Like I said, I'm trying to do the car some justice. I just feel like the car deserves better then the [pardon my language] ****ty job that had been done on it before I bought it.
Anyways, I'll keep you posted with what's happening.

Peace,
Haley
Old 04-13-2005, 06:10 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

If I were you, and I was going to drive the car as a daily driver, I wouldn't worry too much about the odd paint chip or the fact that the trunk is a little ratty. Keep a good wax on it and clean up the trunk yourself.

It's still a great looking car, one that I would love to own. No sense sending good money after bad.........and, you can learn about cars as you go.

Budget RVs
Old 04-13-2005, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=Trippie-Hippie]First of all, I have NO reason in the world to lie about anything I've told you.

Well one thing about a troll, is once confronted they don't ever respond.
You did, so I apologize for my doubting you!
Barry
Old 04-13-2005, 08:43 PM

I think the best advice would be to have the lawyer get your money back. You already have way too much sunk in this car already, plus what it will cost to you correctly fix it makes it way too much. Plus, without the title you don't even know if it's a real SS or a fake. Unless it is a big block it's not worth a whole lot.

Get out of this deal if you can, there are other, much better cars available for less.

You are getting hosed, screwed and tatooed on this car.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.