Hot Rod Forum banner

Rust spots on chrome wheels and spinners

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  1971BB427 
#1 ·
Any way to fix or remove the rust with out trashing the wheels then cover it with what so they do not look too bad. If so how do I protect them

#2 ·
If the spots are still small, i.e specks, a good cleaning with a polish will take most rust off. Generally these start to look bad where the rim meets the center - and there really isn't a cure for that corrosion. Otherwise, welcome to the world of rusty chrome wheels and a pretty good reason aluminum wheels got so popular and fairly reasonably priced.

#6 ·
Rust on chrome wheels

Just received my Craiger chrome wheels from Summit and before I mounted the tires I treated the wheels with a product called Shark hide, sold by Eastwood. I use this stuff on anything shinny from trim to engine dress up parts. Google Sharkhide for some good info.

#7 ·
Yeah you've got to stay on top of chrome spokes with lots of polishing and waxing, you now have a new hobby. Trust me I live where it rains a lot and own a Heritage Softail and a 47 hardtail bobber both with chrome wire spokes. Love the look so I spend evenings in the shop on my knees working these babies over.

Bogie

#13 ·
Had a very similar problem, with a similar wheel on my '69 Suburban. Only my wheels had much more rust on the spokes than yours. I cleaned and polished them with Mother's Chrome Polish, and they looked great, but the rust came back. I polished them about once a month to keep them looking good, but finally gave up. I sanded the center spokes to break the chrome finish, and masked them off. Then painted the centers with Rustoleum Mag Wheel Paint in the graphite color. Made the wheels look great with chrome lug nuts, rim, and a new center cap.

#18 ·
There's a difference between chrome paint in a rattle can, and the chrome paint used to coat whole cars. The new spray on chrome process is not as good or durable as real chrome, but it's leaps and bounds above rattle can chrome. Jay Leno's garage did a segment on it, and it's amazing how good it looks. But it's still not dipped chrome, and wont hold up as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.